Lowlife trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOVE the design of the seat!...Heck, I couldn't make it out of cardboard, never mind stainless.

LOVE the design of the seat!...Heck, I couldn't make it out of cardboard, never mind stainless.

Thanks KOTA

I'm having trouble bending it tho it's 2 mm so it's a bit hard.
I'm going to do a bit more work on the seat to night as well so I'll get some pics of it in the making :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks KOTA

I'm having trouble bending it tho it's 2 mm so it's a bit hard.
I'm going to do a bit more work on the seat to night as well so I'll get some pics of it in the making :)

I have never tried to bend stainless steel so I have no reference to how it bends. To the unlearned about this it would seem silly that something just a little over a 1/16" (5/64") thick would be hard to bend. Now knowing stainless steel is tougher than steel it does make sense.

I have never tried to bend stainless steel so I have no reference to how it bends. To the unlearned about this it would seem silly that something just a little over a 1/16" (5/64") thick would be hard to bend. Now knowing stainless steel is tougher than steel it does make sense.

Yeah I know what your saying I've got a bender but I can't use it on my seat.
I've folded the sides up and now I have to cut the sides and bend the back up

I'll have some pics later
It's really hard to explain lol

My frame is finished..... :D
I got all my welding last night 3 hours of welding and grinding but it's finished.
ybe4y6e6.jpg

7yvu8yry.jpg

yba8y2um.jpg

Looking good Rhys. Stainless is a ..... to bend without a decent press break bender. The engineering firm my dad used to work at had a massive one they used for thin sheet stainless. Try ringing round your local engineers for assistance with the folds, it'll be worth it for a nice crisp finish.

Looking good Rhys. Stainless is a ..... to bend without a decent press break bender. The engineering firm my dad used to work at had a massive one they used for thin sheet stainless. Try ringing round your local engineers for assistance with the folds, it'll be worth it for a nice crisp finish.

Thanks uncle fide
I had a go at making the seat it looks ok I'm not 100% on it tho looks a bit big I got some pics
I've got a good bender at work too it was easy we I started doing it lol

My 1st go at the bomber seat it's still got the coating on it so that's why it's white. I'm not 100% on it let me know what you guys think
yha3apa8.jpg

ezarepyg.jpg

ara9utu7.jpg

It looks a bit too big and boxie. If you know what I'm saying

My 1st go at the bomber seat it's still got the coating on it so that's why it's white. I'm not 100% on it let me know what you guys think
yha3apa8.jpg

ezarepyg.jpg

ara9utu7.jpg

It looks a bit too big and boxie. If you know what I'm saying

I think it looks pretty good, but i understand what you mean, maybe if you round off the edges it.looks smoother.
Are you planning on doing a seat cover? (Get it upholstered if thats the right term)
Or are you keeping it raw metal like it is and polish the heck out of it? Looks cool too btw:)

Customize!

I think it looks pretty good, but i understand what you mean, maybe if you round off the edges it.looks smoother.
Are you planning on doing a seat cover? (Get it upholstered if thats the right term)
Or are you keeping it raw metal like it is and polish the heck out of it? Looks cool too btw:)

Customize!
Thanks man.
What I'm going to do is make another one in 3 bits the 2 sides and one back bit and rivet it all and I can cut the sides round at the top I'm going to leave it polished and use a hole saw a cut some holes in it.

My only concern is the effect on your pedal strokes with the seat’s squared leading edge. Trike as well as bike seats have the notches at the crotch in order for efficient leg extension with the pedal at “bottom-dead-center”; I feel that with the seat squared-off, that’ll be an impediment.

Other then this biomechanical concern, your project looks sound. Good luck!

My only concern is the effect on your pedal strokes with the seat’s squared leading edge. Trike as well as bike seats have the notches at the crotch in order for efficient leg extension with the pedal at “bottom-dead-center”; I feel that with the seat squared-off, that’ll be an impediment.

Other then this biomechanical concern, your project looks sound. Good luck!
Thanks mate.
My next one I will make the bottom where my legs will go. Go down not up like my prototype does.
I wasn't too worried about that as the seat is really low and the front wheel is a 24 inch so I thought my legs will be going up more then straight. On the up side it's really comfy for a bit of stainless

Thanks mate.
My next one I will make the bottom where my legs will go. Go down not up like my prototype does.
I wasn't too worried about that as the seat is really low and the front wheel is a 24 inch so I thought my legs will be going up more then straight. On the up side it's really comfy for a bit of stainless

Cool - once again, good luck!

Back