LRAY "Cincinnati Special"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my first build here on the site. I found an old bike at the flea market and had no clue what it was. It appears to be a 1960 flightliner after some googling and even finding this site in the process. I have been looking for something with a tank on it for awhile now and this is what I came up with.

tn_DSCN0751.jpg

I wanted to do something rat and came across this occ bike at a yard sale for cheap and thought to myself here are some of the parts I need. Wish it was a 24" but it's a 20". Here is the bike I picked up. It's a black widow.

tn_DSCN0746.jpg

So my plan was to strip both bikes. I wanna use the frame from the FL and the forks off the occ bike. I am using the FL handlebars. the wheels off the occ. the cranks I wanted to use the occ but the stupid bottom bracket was wierd on this bike. It actually threads into the frame tube instead of a regular bottom bracket. I can see if I can find something else to use. I think the FL cranks might be too long but I will double check them before I make the final decision. I'm not using the FL forks or rack or chain guard for this one. I am probably gonna use the stem off the occ and the chain off the occ. I need to find some pedals probably because the FL pedals need a little work. I still haven't decided on the seat either. I have both bikes broke down and started sanding on the frame. I am thinking of spraying it with truck bed liner spray. I think the rough look and ruggedness of it would look good on a rat. The tank on the bike is gonna be the only problem. It would have been cool to keep the headlight and everything but I think I am gonna cut the headlight part off the tank and use some sheetmetal to change the shape of the front of it so that I can use the triple tree forks. I didn't check today but I am pretty sure the headlight on the occ bike is fake and has nothing inside of it. If that is the case I might see if I can do an led in it but might just change it out all together? Had fun today working on it. as you can see my upper backyard is a rat yard because I don't cut it up there. The birds like it so I let them have their way. Here is a rough mock up just to see a little of what I am doing.

tn_DSCN0758.jpg

more to come soon.

forgot to mention if anyone needs anything off the FL or OCC bike I am not using let me know. I will listen to all offers.

Looking nice! About the light; it's quite easy to solder a LED-cirquit for a headlight. If you know how to solder it's a piece of cake, and if you don't know how to solder, it's a good project to learn by! :D Send me a pm if you want me to make you a simple chart how to wire it. If you don't feel like soldering, there are good headlight conversion tips in the how to section. :)

Got some free time this weekend and sanded the frame down. I went to the store to get some of the spray on truck bed liner and they were out of it. I looked around and settled on some textured metallic graphite. Sprayed a bunch of coats and a few clear coats. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I sanded down the cups and threw them back on. Here's what I came up with.

tn_frame.jpg

The forks are an inch or so too short so I am gonna try to either figure out a fitting I can use to extend them or else I will cut the tube and weld in a spacer to make them long enough. I sanded down the old cranks and handlebars and they look pretty good. Got all of the rust off so might just try to use them as is. Hopefully I can make a little progress this week.

Back