Making racks and tanks..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone could help with this one? Basically over here in the UK it's more or less impossible to buy anything good.. ever. Unless you like tea and/or pies. In which case it is a land of plenty!

So I have now got more or less all the bits for my cruiser other than paint, spokes, tubes, grips and a couple of other little bits haha. The two things I'm most stuck with are the rack and the tank. I realize neither are essential but I would at least like to stick a rack on it! I really like the old flat top racks, the ones I see most commonly on the Schwinn bikes.. I don't suppose with the high availability of the anyone has had a crack at making one from scratch? Or has any good photos of them with something to scale it from.. same question for the tank as well!

Any tips or guidance would be swell!

Cheers

Lots of homemade racks have been shown here. One common way to do it is to use an old skateboard. Oh wait, you probably don't have old skateboards either!:banghead: Use any available wood. Make a matching rack and tank from wood. A piece of classic English oak would be nice. Just make the tank an "insert" that is flat rather than a 3D tank. Just an idea. Gary

dscf2113w.jpg
Made this one a while back out of steel rod some 3" pipe hangers and oak slats.http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/grandpa-rockhopper.26172/

Last edited:
Thanks every one. The bike is a heavy with all that solid 5/16 rod though I'd like to do one in SS tube for weight savings though. Rob just look at some misc. junk and sometimes these things just come. I had been looking at those 3" pipe hangers for a year I liked their shape and the slots they seemed Art Deco . Then the build off and the rack idea.

Back