Master Links

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy packs of 20 count master links on Ebay shipped from China for less than 3.00 and never had a problem with them.

Right now I dont have any and need one. Do the Walmart kids bikes etc have master links that I could rob one from? I looked thru some of my junk kids stuff but cant identify a master link. None of the links have a clip so I assume they are factory riveted one piece chains.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

"Snap" links are more common these days, they don't have a hairpin clip like traditional master links. You have to look pretty close to find them. They can be identified by a slight difference in appearance of the pins or a slight gap where they protrude from the side plates. If you find one they come off by bending the chain slightly to shorten the side that comes off, then the plate will come off.

If you have a chain breaker just take a couple links off one of the kids bike chains and splice your chain in place on the bike. When removing the links from the donor chain just don't drive the pins all the way out but just far enough to pull the links apart. Then with the chain in place on the bike drive the pins back in place with the chain breaker. :)

Dont have a breaker. The reason I need a master is because I tried reuseing a link yesterday and the clip thing came off. Guess I sprung it when I robbed it from another bike.

I did take an old chain using the vise and a punch was able to remove a link. I am gonna see if I can use the vise to put the link back together

Last edited:
41n21sTXhnL._SY355_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Shopsimple-Bi...7901239&sr=8-4&keywords=bicycle+chain+breaker
I got one of these like a year ago works good just have to be careful to line the tool up with the pin in the link and don't force it. :)

I bought one of those Bell tools from Walmart once. Fell apart in my hand...junk.

GOT IT. Used a punch and vise and it went 4ogether fairly easily. Will get me by hopefully. I bought some Ebay links and should get in a wee or two.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back