MATH PROBLEM

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hah! I caught something wrong as the story was progressing. It's more of a reading comprehension problem but it's very tricky because of how it's worded; it's meant to throw you off since there's an error in the logic.

Since the owner wanted to charge the group $25 instead of $30 and the waiter wants a $2 tip, the threesome party as a whole would have to pay a net sum of $25 for the food + $2 for the tip, totaling $27. Therefore each of the three dining persons would receive $1 back since $30 was originally given so subtracting $3 from $30 equals $27, verifying the above math.

Elaborating a little bit, there is no extra dollar because $30 initial payment - $5 discount + $2 tip + ($1 x 3 people) = $30; no money has been added or lost in this controlled event.

:wink:

i was always told in school that math was perfect. that you can take any number, multiply it, divide it or subtract any other number and then all you had to do was go backwards and you will end up with the same number you started.

the question here is that each guy originally paid 10. when the waiter returns a dollar to each one this makes it out that each paid 9 instead of 10.

do you agree that each guy ended up paying 9 dollars instead of 10?

Yeah because with $3 given back to the dining party and $2 being kept for the waiter, that leaves the group paying a total of $27 so $27 divided by 3 people = $9 per person.

The math is perfect.

The question sets up a logical fallacy that throws us all off. People use logical fallacies in real life to throw us all off too but that deals with politics so we can't go there. :lol:

$30- $2 = $28

$28 divided by 3 people = $9.33333 (there's a penny rattling around)

The diners only got back $9 each, x 3 diners is $27

Nothing to see here, move along, move along ... :)

The math is fine, the story is mixed up.

3 x 10 = 30

30 - 2 = 28

3 x 9 = 27

28 - 27 = 1

28 / 3 = 9.33

9.33 - 9 = 0.33

0.33 x 3 = .99 ($1 in this case)

they all paid $10 each in the beginning ($30), but only paid $9 each by the end ($27), which leaves $3 of the original $30 floating around, the waiter kept $2 and there is another $1 floating around the story doesn't address. It just words it to trick your brain into thinking it did.

schwinnmesa said:
√-1 think CCR knows what he's doing. :mrgreen:

My grades in Math were a lot better than my English. I think I may have an unfair advantage though because my reading comprehension test scores were always terrible in school. :lol:

Rockit! said:
In an unrelated note, CCR's avatar REALLY freaks me out.

It amused me at first, but it's been giving me the creeps lately too :lol: Big Brother is watching you.

big-brother-1984.jpg

axsepul said:
axsepul said:

did you get to see this one?

Yeah; it's the same fallacy as the first one. I explained it in a comment under the youtube video (I am Boognish247). The misleading part is when the video tries to tell us that we should be ADDING the $3 to the $28.
In reality, the $3 taken by the waiter is PART OF the $28; $25 for the register plus $3 for the waiter plus $1 for guy A plus $1 for guy B equals $30. In short, the $3 should be SUBTRACTED from the $28.

I'm still going to buy a headbadge from you, but I'm going to be VERY careful about the pricing. :lol:

Bicycle808 said:
I'm still going to buy a headbadge from you, but I'm going to be VERY careful about the pricing. :lol:

Go ahead and subtract the tip and make him look for the extra dollar :lol: :wink:

i'm also enjoying these math problems and your answers. i will give you the right answer to both math problems when you answer this one

ok, i have a $63 check and i want you to change it for me but i want 6 bills with no dollar bills and no coins.

how can you change that check into 6 bills (usa paper notes) using any paper notes except 1 dollar bills and no coins?

i'll be waiting!

let me know about the headbadge you want ;-)

Back