(MBBO#04 Class 1) "Fury"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up some parts. The crankset is an odd size, cups like American but smaller. That's why it won't use the chain case, nothing to hold on to it like a standard cottered crankset. The bike shop had one old set on the shelf luckily.
DSCI0030%20-%20Copy_zpszk3ofmcj.jpg
URL] - Copy_zpszk3ofmcj.jpg

DSCI0030%20-%20Copy_zpszk3ofmcj.jpg

I had to get the next size larger headset because the next size smaller cups were loose in the head tube. These are just a hair too large. I thought this frame was a funny size. But the head tube ends are tapered, so I think they can be "persuaded" to open up enough for these larger cups. They only need to open up slightly, a tapered pipe or something might open the ends up.

DSCI0028_zpsrgcppqpz.jpg

I finally got around to pulling the old crankset. I'm glad it soaked so long, it came off without much problem.

DSCI0031_zps57yy3k5k.jpg

The seat stem came out ok too. I'm not sure if it's a seat stem or a piece of metal someone found, I've never seen one like it. But it's the right size and works!

So, the frame is ready for the wire wheel, but my city is having a Mardi Gras, so that's it for work on the bike for a day or two.

Last edited:
The fun of loose bearings.

I pulled two seat posts out of my last European frame. One original was connected to the other with an old nail as a pin. To make an extension...

Building... riding...

I conected the seat to the sissy bar and noticed a spot where the bar has been ground down. I bought it over a month ago so it can't be exchanged. It must have had a little rust and they took a grinder to it. But it'll go just like that on the build without any problem. It's not going to be too shiny anyway.
DSCI0058_zpscrherzvd.jpg

Some actual work done today. I started with the head tube problem and thought I could use an old spindle and hammer them. Nope, so I broke out the rotary tool and ground down the tapers. Lucky for me the fork tube is just the right length for this frame.

DSCI0068_zpsnvxrdy6e.jpg

DSCI0070_zpsuqpgbdqi.jpg

DSCI0073_zpslxdm9ovl.jpg

Then the bottom bracket needed reaming too. I think it was more of crud and rust than being too small.

DSCI0075_zps4jygrxzy.jpg

So it's mocked up somewhat. I still have to get some metal and get it cut for the chain guard etc.

DSCI0078_zps2tsmazxl.jpg

I didn't get anything done over the weekend here except some ideas for an exhaust manifold for the bike. I found the missing crank arm also. But I did try out the plastic wheel discs. I used the leftover plastic and made discs for the rear wheel of my daily rider to see how they would hold up. I had just enough left for one 24" wheel. So far so good.

DSCI0080%20-%20Copy_zpsmu5txcvm.jpg

DSCI0113_zpsi0vnx30c.jpg

The wheel discs are cool. Are they "pressure fit" to stay in place around the outside of the rim? Which tires are you using for this build? Really like the look / fit of them!

I'm not sure what pressure fitting is, but I cut the 8 gauge? plastic to size and used contact cement to hold the center and outside to the wheel. I thought I would have to add cement to the spokes too, but the plastic seems strong and taut enough to go as it is. Brakes pads won't work of course, so coaster or disc/drum brakes are the only way to go. Once I paint them, I can give them a thumbs up if they look good and hold up. If not, they will be templates to cut heavier plastic or sheet metal.

The rear tire is a heavy tire 20 x 2.125 they use here in the Philippines for mostly work, like carts and sidecars. It's the closest to a big slick I've found here. The front tire is a Michelin Diablo 20 x 1.75 I brought here from the states. Now they call it the Country J tire. Pretty good all purpose tire.

The wheel discs need to be a thicker material next time. I'll use sheet metal or something not nearly as flexible as these are. Now to sand down the frame and do more painting while still trying to find a rear brake.

DSCI0305_zpscnlquopg.jpg

Those wheel discs look good in the pics!

Luke.
Yes they do, better than in reality, but they are fine for this build. I just want heavy duty for my next build, probably a Klunker.

The discs aren't supposed to be perfect with this mad max type theme, so they will work fine. My tire pump gave out so I went to the bike shop to replace it and couldn't resist getting another big tire. So the front will be beefy also.

wheel_zpssx36nqo6.jpg

Latest posts

Back