(MBBO#04 Class 2) PEDRO. (PEDRO GOT A NEW OWNER!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is the big one Ladies and Gentlemen! WE HAVE A ROLLER!
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

First step today was to notch the frame where the bottom bracket runs and tack that in, needed to get this exactly right because everything else is measured off this point for the rear axle and stays...

21831997585_63491318f4_z.jpg

I then was able to tack the rear loops in place using the bottom bracket as a guide to getting everything straight, I fitted the rear wheel at this point to to ensure the gap was even all the way around that curved tube at the rear of the frame.
I did have to cut and rejoin in a couple of places to get the angles spot on, but it was all worth while when I sat the front fork and wheel in place and could pose with the bike for a photo or two when my wife came out to say hi!
(Please ignore my pigsty of a work area, way too many projects happening...)

21831994785_498c1d3932_z.jpg

21643952860_a163039567_z.jpg

Surprised by just how small the bike is? Me too!
Here is a better photo of the bike as it sat at that point:

21841569541_9791472729_z.jpg

After that I just had all the joints to weld and then sand down. Once that was done the next step was clear: Attach the cantilever bars to the rear curved bar and extend them through to the head tube! I decided that the piece that joined them to the main frame should have a little flair to it to match the dropouts, so I made a piece up out of some more curved tubing:

21805857046_bd7dfb9f0f_z.jpg

21841563861_29d03f3b95_z.jpg

21645097279_de1a3e9e82_z.jpg

Well, there was only one more thing to do now right?
Throw some wheels at it and finally get a glimpse of what it will look like!

21644112558_5144da9c38_z.jpg

21645087579_f8b54e2afa_z.jpg

21841554471_38a53a78ef_z.jpg

Oh yeah! Loving the way it looks!

It is so weird, you can look at drawings and sketches of a bike for months and months and not get any sense of how they will look in real life. I never understood just how cool the severe shortness of the frame would highlight the width of the Hoosier, and that all the curves would play off each other so nicely!

21209229004_10294583e5_z.jpg

Very happy!

The frame is almost finished now, I still want to add some little pieces of tube to tie the bottom bracket down to the chain stays, but other than that, it is on to the seat next!

I will leave you with this parting shot:

21841540061_d1c0639c70_z.jpg

Luke. :21:

Luke, that is nuts! :crazy2: Initially in all your preceding pics the bike looked like it was going to be large, cumbersome, and unwieldy. Not any more! That rear tire makes a statement; it appears the frame is doing all it can to capture and hold it from just taking off on it's own! This is wild!:banana:

Wow that's cool! Looks really small in the pic next to you. Awesome work!
Admittedly I am tall, but this bike just looks so much bigger in pictures than it really is, really weird!
:21: Awesome! :thumbsup:
Luke, that is nuts! :crazy2: Initially in all your preceding pics the bike looked like it was going to be large, cumbersome, and unwieldy. Not any more! That rear tire makes a statement; it appears the frame is doing all it can to capture and hold it from just taking off on it's own! This is wild!:banana:
I love the way you put that! It should be a fun ride!
Very well done.
It reminds me of a chopped van I use to see has a kid. "The Stomper"
Thanks Falstaff! Do you have any pics of the van? Sounds interesting!
Its so thick. I love it. Unabashedly cool. Its all that hot roddy stuff all muscle bikes wish they could be.
Thanks ChimeraCycle!
It looks like what would happen if these two got together and had a child. :wink1:

13963999203_32a463c813_z.jpg

$_1.JPG

21209229004_10294583e5_z.jpg
That is a scary thought! Is it ok for me to say I feel sorry for the trike? :21:
I guess it is fair to say the BigJim would be the father to this bike, a lot of the building techniques and my style certainly came from there!
What? No kick stand? :crazy:
Really cool, Luke. What is that wheelbase anyway?

Carl.
31" wheelbase, 48" total length. It really is quite small!
I love it man, can't wait to see how it turns out.
Thanks Yooth!

Really happy with the way it is going!

Luke.

Thanks Falstaff! Do you have any pics of the van? Sounds interesting!

Unfortunately I don't,I didn't have much access to a camera back in the 80's

http://www.speednik.com/files/2015/02/sideview2.jpg

Here you go Luke,not the same van I saw as a kid,but the wheelbase is about the same.
That is crazy! It almost looks like if you stamped on the brakes too hard you would flip it forward!

Luke.

Thanks everyone, glad you are liking it as much as I am!

I am rethinking my idea with the full length seat now, it will hide those nice canti tubes and I can't think of a nice way to join the front of the seat to the frame either...

A few ideas are happening... Not sure where I will end up!

Luke.

Thanks everyone, glad you are liking it as much as I am!

I am rethinking my idea with the full length seat now, it will hide those nice canti tubes and I can't think of a nice way to join the front of the seat to the frame either...

A few ideas are happening... Not sure where I will end up!

Luke.
My eye keeps being drawn to that wiiiiiide crank tube. Then the wide tire, then the mag cutouts, then the frame, then the wide tire, then the wiiiiiide crank tube, and so on and so on..... Liking all of it that I see!

Some amazing master craftsmanship!

You could move it back a little amd mount the seat point up B Breaker style...

Building... riding...

My eye keeps being drawn to that wiiiiiide crank tube. Then the wide tire, then the mag cutouts, then the frame, then the wide tire, then the wiiiiiide crank tube, and so on and so on..... Liking all of it that I see!

Some amazing master craftsmanship!
Thanks Chewy!
You could move it back a little amd mount the seat point up B Breaker style...

Building... riding...
I never understood how people could ride with the seat like that!

I did up some drawings with a spoon seat and a few other designs, but they just didn't work, so I am sticking to the original plan, but....

Thinking about shortening the seat some and moving the front angle back so it can run between the canti tubes and to down to the down tube...

Something like this:

21232995204_f64e89d65f_z.jpg

That way the cool canti tubes are still on display and there is no awkward join at the headtube. Still thinking on it though...

Luke.

Back