(MBBO#05 Class-2) '68 Junior 7...Looks Like it's Done.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha!
It is indeed. If I did another frame though I'd do a chemical strip first. Was tight trying to get to every spot on the frame. Chain guard was fun though and only took a few minutes.

Oh yes...thank you for the reminder. Wanted to get this out in the nice Indian summer air to cure up a bit,

Only a tiny bit of clear on it. I'll ad the decals next week and then hose it down with the rest of the clear.
View attachment 35935

View attachment 35936

View attachment 35937
The black is kind of nice. It's Duplicolor metallic black. The charcoal is a Chrysler color. The usual rattle can monkey business.
Monkey business indeed! Looks great. Great color combo, bike's gonna look tough. And by 'tough' I mean, "don't mess with me" tough. Livin' it up with the Indian summer weather here today too.

Decided to slap the decals on this one today.

I pretty much use the Hyper-formance Micro set instructions.

These chain guard decals are always tough. I think I need to make sure the whole thing is loose before trying to slide it off the paper. They seem thinner than the frame ones.

I got it stuck down and then hit it with some more Micro set. This makes it wrinkle.

decals2.jpg

Worked some of those out with a q-tip (what I use to apply the Micro set) then gently patted it down with a wet paper towel.

decals5.jpg

Really wanted to slap that back wheel on there but I need to finish the clear.

decals3.jpg

decals4.jpg

Thank you sir Lee. The main goal with this color scheme was to blend in the beefiness of the front fork. Will probably ad some long fork dart decals as well...:39:

paint8.jpg

Didn't get any lacquer smell in the house last year. Really feels like the MBBO now. Cold outside with paint smell inside. May have to try and finish the clear if it gets decently warm this afternoon. Love painting outside in the fall.

Since the paint is still curing on this one I decided to tackle the seat re-cover.

Using a Coal Krate Pete Seat kit form Hyper-formance and some gel padding for motorcycle seats. It was expensive but I've got enough for 2 seats. Hopefully this makes for a comfy seat that still looks decent.

peteseat3.jpg

I cut a small piece of the gel to go where you sit then filled in the rest with the piece of dark foam from the kit.

peteseat2.jpg

After I got the big piece of foam on I came inside for the indoor/sit-down job of finishing it.

peteseat4.jpg

Then a little trim/heat/stretch/fold/clamp.

peteseat5.jpg

Kit comes with the seat tag and these really cool rivets to hold it on. They just push through and you bend the tabs to secure them.

peteseat7.jpg

peteseat9.jpg

Almost done. Still need to poke the sissy holes. Can't decide whether to enlarge them for the Krate hardware or not.

peteseat8.jpg

It's a lot of charcoal grey but the seat really sparkles out in the sun so hopefully it's not too drab.

peteseat6.jpg

Really like this Pete seat kit. Comes with lots of extras and it's a nice piece of vinyl. Good instructions too.

Finished the clear coat yesterday so that will have to cure a few more days but here's a quick peek.

paint9.jpg

Primer, paint and clear all came from Autozone. Using the Rustoleum clear Lacquer. It's a little thin but goes on nice.

Wow! Chad, you have done a seriously professional job on this seat. Remind me not to post my seat covering jobs anymore...lol..:D
Just had a wild thought. Would blacked out bars, sissy, seatpost and crank arms look cool on this build?! Just a wild, crazy idea, but the black looks so good up against that charcoal....

Either way, this is a winner! :thumbsup:

Oooo! Nice work!

Luke.
Looks Good Chad, hopefully we have some sunny days for your final pics.

Thank you, thank you, thank you fellas. Getting close to finished so should have a few decent days to try for a nice pic.

Just had a wild thought. Would blacked out bars, sissy, seatpost and crank arms look cool on this build?! Just a wild, crazy idea, but the black looks so good up against that charcoal....

Either way, this is a winner! :thumbsup:

Thank you OJ. It's going to be a mix of black/charcoal and chrome. The cranks are black actually. The black/charcoal do go well together.

Decided to get a shiny stem to blend in the chrome bars.

stem3.jpg

No creaky apes on this one....:D

stem.jpg

Some salmon colored Kool Stop brake pads are on the way for a little sprinkle of color. Thought the salmon pads might give it a little Schwinny-ness.

Last edited:
Shiny sparkly awesomeness!

Shiny sparkly awesomeness!

Thank you brother...always great to have you stop by.

Cranks, forks, chain guard - - black. Rims, post, rail, bars, stem - - chrome. Frame, seat - - charcoal with black decals / highlights. Seems balanced to me.

Glad Mr "Bag Matches the Shoes" approves...thank you buddy.

Another awesome ChadTBuild in progress!

Luke.

Thank you Luke. It is starting to get my signature stink on it..:D..kind of a rest-o-creation.

Love the Macro Monday thread. Especially when I have Mondays off. :happy:

Here's a before sanding pic of the chainguard that I also used for Macro Monday today.

cg1.jpg

Now I need to go sand it and the frame and GTP "GIT TA PUTTIN' BACK TOGETHER".

You can see where the decal wrinkled and ripped. The Microset helps thin that down some. Also sanded the decal before spraying any clear. Will see how it comes out. Not sure if I have enough clear on there to sand it completely flat.

If you ever get tired of whatever job it is that you do (to make a living), you would be an awesome body man or detailer...not a single surface gets ignored when Chad T is in the house!

If you ever get tired of whatever job it is that you do (to make a living), you would be an awesome body man or detailer...not a single surface gets ignored when Chad T is in the house!
That chainguard came up really nice!

Luke.

Thank you! OJ I'm no body man. I just strip/primer/paint. Lot's of clear and lots of sanding is my secret for the deluxe rattle can job...(I did work as a detailer for a few years as a youngster).

This one didn't get too much sanding though because she's wanting to be a runner. Beautiful weather here for November. Just kind of easing in to the re-assembly process.

paint10.jpg

salmon.jpg

Thank you! OJ I'm no body man. I just strip/primer/paint. Lot's of clear and lots of sanding is my secret for the deluxe rattle can job...(I did work as a detailer for a few years as a youngster).

This one didn't get too much sanding though because she's wanting to be a runner. Beautiful weather here for November. Just kind of easing in to the re-assembly process.

View attachment 37215

View attachment 37216
Yeah, gorgeous here all week too...60's...

Awesome Indian summer weather. Got a bit More done.

New Cat Eye reflector + home made hanger. Has one Dura Ace clamp.

paint11.jpg

Kept the crude shift cable stops. Great thing about a Scwhinn. You can drill/tap them for anything you need to mount.

paint13.jpg

Getting there. Back to work for me tomorrow 'til next Monday.

paint12.jpg

Gave him the newer sprocket I didn't use on the Fastback.

Latest posts

Back