(MBBO Class 1) Orange Lightening....9-Speed...'69 Fastback.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somehow I read all of that except the "bucking bike" part...I have seen one of those aroud here. Every spoke a different length... You would almost have to cut each spoke as you built the wheel. Interesting. I wonder what would feel like on a swing bike.

Sorry to jack your thread but...
I want to build a parade bike, with a circus clown theme. Maybe for the WBO.

Carl.

No worries about jacking my thread Carl..anything goes in my threads. Thanks Luke. I can't believe all the ideas and bikes that are on here. Way impressed.

I went with oem on the brake handles mainly because they aren't very expensive. polished them up and installed new straps.

FCVuWp.jpg

kind of a nice contrast with the shifter..new vs old. shifter has some age. it was actually on a racing mountain bike.

ugjvM8.jpg

real carbon fiber cover comes off to access the cable.

SNAIDd.jpg

my brother gave me those chub grips which look good but are way too hard to ride with. I've got my kid's bmx grips on there now for the test 'n tune phase.

shifter controls this matching derailleur.

R8qjdp.jpg

It all works fairly flawlessly. just a nice growl in 1st, 8th and 9th. all the other gears are silent and the whole thing is smooth as silk. The sram stuff is nice but my early '90s shimano deore 7 speed setup shifts just as good. the sram upshifts with more of a bang and the parts are more exotic looking. it's wild how much that 9 speed chain can turn. I've lost the chain twice but finally figured out that my heal was hitting the derailleur. may have to come up with some type of guard or just use a toe clip to position my foot better. one of the pulleys on the derailleur is pretty munched but I have a new set on order.

AB26jx.jpg

6uaTr6.jpg

Gear ratios are just about perfect. I have the granny 32t 1st gear 2nd gear is the same as the fastback 1st then 6th gear is the same 14t as top gear on a stock fastback then there are 13,12 and 11t sprockets above that. It's the perfect setup for cruising and max speed. it's fast! these duranos are awesome tires and ride surprisingly well. this frame will really put the power down. Not the greatest for accelleration with all the weight but if you just patiently chug through the gears it will indeed fly.

Cable will be routed differently when my campagnolo bottom bracket slider gets here.

Brakes work well...braking from high speed could best be described as violent.

Looks like I have a long time to get all the bugs worked out but I do want to paint while it's still warm in ohio.

Might have to do another entry...i've got some killer ideas for a banana seat scrambler.

I'm glad I'm just in this build off for the fun of it my knowledge of some of this stuff is juvenile compared to some of you this bike is going to be amazingly good can't wait to see final product:praise:

Been working on the comfort level. Got this cheap road seat and strapped the top of it onto the nos persons smoothie I got from Eagleye.

VeSEC4.jpg

Then I took it off and stuffed it under.

K39xu4.jpg

may have to come up with something different or just bite the bullet and buy some expensive motorcycle gel seat padding. comfy seat is a must for me.

You guys think I can get away with going fenderless on this bike? I usually don't like the fastbacks without fenders but I think this one looks ok. It also keeps with the road bikey/racey theme to not have fenders. plus it's easy because I don't have any fenders...;)

Personally I would like to see fenders but that's my opinion the bike looks excellent. There is still paint and other special touches you will probably do so fenders may not matter by then?

Thanks guys..kind of exactly what I was thinking. I also have some black plastic mudguards with a big ducktail I may use to make something custom.

Got my campagnolo anti-friction bottom bracket cable guide and new shift cable so I re-routed the shift cable to it's final position. Also installed new derailleur pulleys which smoothed things out except for 1st gear which is a little noisier now.

A5bHkq.jpg

was also playing around with these plastic fenders I got. if you search bicycle fenders on ebay and sort by price+shipping lowest first you will find these fenders $3.67 with $1.29 shipping from china. Here's what I came up with for them. Still need to get them closer to the tires but I kinda like 'em.

y92oqP.jpg

V8tQrZ.jpg

got my paint ordered. had to call to get them to mix the arancio ymir but the lady finally figured it out..she did caution that since it's not one of their normal colors it may not match exactly on my 2004 Lamborghini..:p

Since this is a competition I will say "keep the plastic fenders". I say this because they ruin your bike and you will go down in flames. :D
But seriously, I mentioned before I love fenders on muscle bikes because that's how the came, but perhaps fenders will distract from your components and wheel work. However, if you do think it needs fenders, I would go with the original thin fenders of the Fastback.

Thanks guys that's what I needed to hear. She will most likely be fenderless. getting bored I guess. I think im pretty well where I want to be with the bike. just need to strip/prep/paint.

On another note I added a couple links back to the chain and she purrs like a kitten now. really a sweet bike to ride.

Back