(MBBO Class 1) Orange Lightening....9-Speed...'69 Fastback.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had good luck with SRAM; my girls bike had SRAM 3.0 setup and I loved how much easier the rear was to shift with my bad hand.

One of the reasons for building this bike was to be able to keep up with my son on his fast bike "White Lightening" It's a 15 lb bmx junior racer. I put my old mountain bike bars and a different seat on it for him as he wanted it to look more like a "cycling bike".

kuW6LC.jpg

We took a nice little ride to the park last weekend. He can still get a jump on me since he's a 50 lb kid on a 15 lb bike but I can reel him in pretty easily on the Fastback. Makes it nice as I like to be able to get ahead of him to check for traffic etc. Now I can just cruise and keep up.

0k8OFn.jpg

Orange pedals and project name should make a lot more sense soon..

sr3QYG.jpg

Finally got a day off and had time to play with the Lambo paint...:happy:

Was really difficult to bring myself to sand through this original yellow.

LBeSbL.jpg

Finally just held my breath and dove in.

sPcwNC.jpg

Just got up and brought her inside to look at. Will have to do decals and more clear next week. Hopefully get time to sand + polish then as well. Will have to get it outside for some better pics too.

AZrTvb.jpg

Gotta help momma with some dog rescue stuff today then it's back to work for me.

That's a good color, reminds me of Chevy's competition orange.

Carl. :android:

That will look really good with the decals are you gonna put them back the way the was?

Thanks Jamie....yes I have the decals in white. I'll put on the decals then more clear then lots of sanding and more clear + sanding until it's pretty much smooth. Guard just has a quick splash of clear to see the color.

Looking good! Love that color!
Thanks Luke!!
Thanks RHarris

OK some more progress this week. need to really get cracking on this paint before it gets much colder here.

Made one final tweek of the shifter cable stop to move the cable lower. Having an adjuster right there works out nice.

main.php

Tore the bike down completely and patched all my extra bolt holes I had. Carl I used the lead just like you suggested. Got some big pieces of solder from a friend. He also gave me some acid to use to clean the steel. Man that works great! Easy to see why they use that on high end cars.

Had to make a vid of the Sram XO 9 speed derailleur in action since I wont be able to play with it for a while.

Got the decal installed on the chainguard.

main.php

Put a couple thin coats of clear on to seal it then hit it with some heavy coats. Was going to put some more clear on after it was sanded but it sanded flat right away so I just buffed it out and called it done. Not perfect but I'm happy with it. Really digging this Arancio Ymir Lambo orange. Looks like a different color in every pic. You don't really notice it changing in the light so much in person.

main.php

main.php

main.php

Made some good progress on the frame yesterday. Got the welds almost filed smooth and a decent amount of sanding done. Was hoping to get it in primer but ran out of time. Made some extra bucks helping a neighbor hang some cabinets so splurged on a nice vintage Campagnolo Super Record headset. Why? I dunno..cause it's cool I guess..:)

Back to work tonight for me. Hopefully have some more progress to post next week.

Thanks so much guys!

Dale I was really shocked at how much the color changes in the light. Never seen that on a non-metallic paint. Should have the frame sprayed sometime this week..hopefully.

Luke it's a blast to ride...I actually broke the law with it the other day. I was doing 25.8 in a 25 mph zone.:D I wanted to get a top speed run down a big hill before I took it apart but its been cold + rainy here.

Not sure if I will keep the electronic speedo for the final reveal but I do have an idea to put the wireless pickup on a hub shiner on the back wheel so it would be concealed.

Little more progress this week..got the frame in primer yesterday and sprayed it with color and the first blast of clear today.

main.php

main.php

Started working on the seat..not one of my favorite jobs so figured I'd start chasing the wrinkles with the clothespins now. Should look good with the orange. I've got the padding from a road bike seat underneath there along with some dense 1" foam.

main.php

Still working on the fork. Polishing the dropouts and I have to chase the threads with a die to allow the campy bearing cup to thread on there. Will probably do that at work next week. I think we have a 1" x 24 thread die there.

Frame looks great ! I have some wrinkles seats,always been afraid to tackle that project. Maybe someday I will tear into them.

Back