(MBBO Class 1) "The Judge 5": Closing argument.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had good luck with the 0000 steel wool with a little wd-40 for lube then polish on minor rust peppering. Would like to try some of that acid sometime tho.

You were right, it is marked OH. Here's another pic before I cleaned it up some with glass stove top cleaner. What would be the correct derailleur for this bike?

"Correct" would be a Shimano Lark (not Lark W or Lark S) But you can get away with anything old. There's a NOS one on EBay, but it's way too rich for my blood, so I try to buy screwed up ones and bring them back.

tumblr_lg3p43Z61E1qzy0pvo1_500.png

Whimmy Wham Wham Wozzle!

Back on track. Looks good!

I don't have a lot of progress pics to show you. Wife is forcing some bikes out, so I've pulled a Huffy Rail III out of a box that was in line for restoration and have been burning a lot of time in bring that back to life so I can move it on to a new owner.

Last years MBBO winner, the Renegade 5, already sold and is on its way to its new owner. :( (My personal justification is that this Judge will be a lot cooler, and my son will like it more. I hope I can meet that expectation)

Along with that Rail III I've been working on The Judge's parts as well. I'm really breaking this thing way way down. That barn and those years were not kind. For example...

Here's a headset cage AFTER it soaked in kerosene for 2 days and AFTER I scrubbed it pretty good with a toothbrush. I didn't like the looked behind the bearings, so I pryed them out and found this still in there...

Lg7N0C.jpg

So I scrubbed it out and cleaned up each bearing. Now...

wMM4bA.jpg

This is the kind of stuff that is occupying my build time. I'm doing the same thing for the Rail III. I guess I have a bit of OCD when it comes to restorations.

I don't have a lot of progress pics to show you. Wife is forcing some bikes out, so I've pulled a Huffy Rail III out of a box that was in line for restoration and have been burning a lot of time in bring that back to life so I can move it on to a new owner.

Last years MBBO winner, the Renegade 5, already sold and is on its way to its new owner. :( (My personal justification is that this Judge will be a lot cooler, and my son will like it more. I hope I can meet that expectation)

Along with that Rail III I've been working on The Judge's parts as well. I'm really breaking this thing way way down. That barn and those years were not kind. For example...

Here's a headset cage AFTER it soaked in kerosene for 2 days and AFTER I scrubbed it pretty good with a toothbrush. I didn't like the looked behind the bearings, so I pryed them out and found this still in there...

Lg7N0C.jpg

So I scrubbed it out and cleaned up each bearing. Now...

wMM4bA.jpg

This is the kind of stuff that is occupying my build time. I'm doing the same thing for the Rail III. I guess I have a bit of OCD when it comes to restorations.
This is the reason why your builds are so cool, you just know they are the absolute best they can be!

Luke.

That's a lotta love there. Smooth headset is a good thing tho. Was it hard to get the balls back in the cage and the cage bent back without the balls going everywhere?

Can't wait to see The Judge 5

I'll let you know when I do it. lol (I just put them all in a small bag to dry out) I plan on using a pair of small needle nose to compress the teeth back together. Then I have a syringe filled with grease I use to inject into small areas. I'll pack it with that.

I'm old school enough to hold bearings in the palm of my hand, and rub the grease into them before installing... that gets the grease into all the nooks.

Carl. :android:

I'm cursing ChadT and his shiney new upgraded components right now. I got that front hub back together and threw it up on the stand to true it, and there is a nasty grab in there. So I swap bearings with a NOS axle set i have, no joy. Swap cones, no joy. It's the races in the shell. So... I dug out an old nasty shell I knew I had, checked the races, and they look good. Minimal wear. Check the flange against the hub I have and they are the same. So I take about an hour to clean and polish the new shell, then despoke the front wheel, and respoke it around the new shell. The new shell is MUCH smoother, like it should be.
What a PITA.

You're 100 times the Tech that I am. I can take a hub apart and rebuild it, but I've never tried to respoke a wheel, let alone build one from parts... You rock. Maybe someday I'll give it a shot, but for now, you be da kang!

Carl.

As if I didn't have enough distractions, the wife forced me to build our fire pit, light it up, and roast marshmallows and make S'mores!
DOESN'T SHE KNOW I HAVE BIKES TO RESTORE???
It was awful... sitting around with my kids like this, getting sick from eating too many treats. AWFUL I TELL YA!!

4ngeNb.jpg

I'm cursing ChadT and his shiney new upgraded components right now.

lol! Well I did have a crusty set of bottom bracket bearings I scraped all the carbon off but I had a new set fall in my lap. Also had a brindled race on the sprocket so I had to dig up a rustier looking one that had a clean race surface. Campy headset is older like from the eighties but a quick soak in some WD and a toothbrush got it looking new.

I envy you guys with your stock chains.....whittling that mag sprocket down was some work..;-) Had to shim the head tube for the headset too so not totally without hicups.

But no despoke and respoke oy..I feel your pain there...in an hour no less..sounds like you were in the zone. Now put the smores down and get back to work. The Judge 5 is not going to build itself :p.

You ever get the white letter tire deal figured out?

Finally finished my flip bike and put it up for sale, so turning my attention back to more detailed restoration on The Judge. I got really lucky because the flip bike had an original Flaming Stack insert in it. For those of you who don't know, and Flaming Stack is what the chain guard is called, and it looks like this...

3515578_1_l.jpg

That Day-glo orange background is accomplished with a very thin plastic insert that hooks in the back. Because they were so thin they broke easy and were destroyed, that's why they are so rare. But I got lucky to get one to use as a template. I couldn't find a thin plastic of a suitable color, so I found a thick poster board of similar color. I used the original and cut out a replica.

G9WcJZ.jpg

Original is on the top.
dcgo3F.jpg

Because it's paper, I bought an acrylic sealer and I'm currently spraying it down with several layers to protect it from the elements.

ultrasonic cleaner works best for the bearings but my company one is down. What i have found works is after it soaks in parts cleaner or kerosene and you have scrubbed the big stuff off soak it in acetone for a couple hours, remove it and let it dry for 30 min and simply tap it on a sheet of paper and watch all the crud fall out! i usually do this twice to even three times.

Latest posts

Back