*MBBO/ORBO* - So, who's in and for what category??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are we there yet?
il_fullxfull.2201266033_ieni~2.jpg

Sunday they are calling for 60s but we won’t be started yet, hopefully it gets nice enough to spray paint atleast one day during the build off 🤣

Definitely in for the ORBO!
Carbotech carbon fork with disc, this will fit nice with a rusty frame.. Is it blasphemy? Yeah it sure is😆
image-26-10-2021_14-11-15-77.jpg
image-24-10-2021_23-15-45-36.jpg

Now let's hope the seller comes thru.
Electra Jester frame, that wil be modified.
2004-Electra-Jester.jpg

Got a heavy duty Enviolo cargo hub, steel rims, a set of tektro hydraulic brakes, and lots of tire options.

Sunday they are calling for 60s but we won’t be started yet, hopefully it gets nice enough to spray paint atleast one day during the build off 🤣
I've rattle-canned a frame in late December at 45 degrees before, without getting orange peeled or starred.

Shook up,, then Put the paint in the sink with hot water. Heated the frame to be warm to the touch with a heat gun. Took it outside after it was all warmed, and sprayed it. Let it cure for 3 days before I touched it, and it actually turned out really nice.

I'm going to be in for an ORBO project. I just ordered one of those Summit Workhorse frames out of the classifieds from @ind-chuckz. This seems like a good project to expand my skill set, namely build my first wheels. It will be a patina project. I like scrappy used parts and scrappy bicycles. Not hoping for any noteworthy results, just thought it would be fun to build a bike alongside some other (virtual) buddies.

Last edited:
If I want fancy paint (I don’t) I have access to my former employers shop after hours so I can paint in a heated shop. I’ll probably try my luck outdoors for what I have planned
@metalchewy is right. You can paint in the cold, but there's prep. I hang mine to dry AFTER I've painted it, in my basement. It's not cold there and my cold garage is attached. So I warm up my bike in the house all day while I'm out and about. I preheat my rattle cans up in HOT sink water too. I just bring it in as soon as I can after painting it to dry in the house. But hot cans is the trick. Try it.

Carl.

Well, after meeting up with my fabricator friend on Monday, I've decided I'll go ahead and throw my hat in the ring for the Muscle Bike Build Off again this year. Here's my contender: a slightly-bent Murray Eliminator muscle bike I bought off a buddy of mine down in OKC for $10.
View attachment 176188

I slapped this thing together last month for the Muscle Bike Drags at Buddy's Pedal Fest. I didn't win most of the races I participated in, but at least it didn't fall apart as I rode it around!View attachment 176189

As cool as it was in its rusty, crusty, slapped-together state, I knew I wanted to build this bike up right some day. So, I guess this is as good a time as any to build this bike the way I want. I'm not going to go too crazy with the modifications as I did during the last MBBO. I got a few trick mods planned, but I'm only going to reveal one of them right now: a 26" Monark springer fork!
View attachment 176184View attachment 176185

I just mocked up this fork a month ago, and I've already run into an issue with it: the lock nuts that hold the dropouts in place hit the spokes on the front wheel.
View attachment 176186

I've tried assembling the fork differently to combat the issue, but I think the best solution would be to make some new dropouts that kick the front wheel forward an inch or two.

I'm really looking forward to putting one of my "bucket list" bikes together, especially with my new friend who knows a thing or two about fabricating cool things on wheels. Odds are he'll be doing most of the welding/fabricating this project needs, but I'm going to use this as an opportunity to practice welding/fabricating myself. Dude was kind enough to teach me a little welding after helping me with a previous project, and I'd be more than happy to learn some more! Hopefully, I'll have a custom piece or two on this bike I can proudly say I made or modified myself!
If it were mine then I would be thinking about keeping those old forks, and brazing them together to make them safer - how more old school could you get? :)

Talking of painting, I have been painting the wheels I intend using on my build, but then remembered that the build had not started yet. Then I slapped myself awake, because I had clearly written 'no painting' in my build plan, and I was painting the wheels for a bike I will be building in the spring. In the excitement I keep forgetting that most of the parts I will be using are for this other build and the winter rebuild of my field bike...

If it were mine then I would be thinking about keeping those old forks, and brazing them together to make them safer - how more old school could you get? :)
Those forks are cool, but they're just not my style. I'm an illustrator/graphic designer by trade, and I like everything I work on to have a clean, coherent design. Those forks, though cool, just don't mesh too well with the design I have in mind. I may just end up selling them so someone else can use them, because I don't expect to use them myself.

@metalchewy is right. You can paint in the cold, but there's prep. I hang mine to dry AFTER I've painted it, in my basement. It's not cold there and my cold garage is attached. So I warm up my bike in the house all day while I'm out and about. I preheat my rattle cans up in HOT sink water too. I just bring it in as soon as I can after painting it to dry in the house. But hot cans is the trick. Try it.

Carl.
Come to think of it. I think I learned this trick from you @GuitarlCarl , In my first or second MBBO

I would love to think I'd complete a build off....
More likely I'll get side tracked with another thing, person or pet!
Here's a GT I picked up to build as a gravel road bike. Got all the stuff to build it as a 9 speeder.
Oh yeah gotta change plugs on my truck, good luck Builders, I will be a non-contestant at my pace....

Attachments

• 16355903922475949563919451174827.jpg
    16355903922475949563919451174827.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 49

Latest posts

Back