(MBBO4 Class 1) Super Slingshot

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow CRASH you are on fire with this one! Been looking forward to this one since you first started posting about it. I like this idea so much I'm doing a similar thing with the stagger on mine.:D

I was wondering about that fender. Might have to see if they have one that works with a 24".:39: All your Huffy pics you've been posting have really inspired me to do something with this Huffy I got from Rob.

I've been told by a reliable source that those Super Stock rear fenders are not that easy to find. I'll check around. Not sure if I want fenders so would be nice to find something cheap to try.

On another note. The frame I have has that same deal between the seat stays but it has a threaded hole in the bottom for a fender. You prolly need a brake mount too i assume though.

You assume correctly. And I'm sure I know your reliable source. The last time he and I found a Super Stock set on Ebay I bought it, but the guy never shipped it, so the deal went sour. I have another source that says he has a set that I need for my daughter's Super Stock (MBBO5)... but... I wasn't actually referring to Super Stock fenders. I was just mentioning 24" muscle bike fenders in general that "could" work. They are out there. You could also modify a full Duck Tail fender to work like a muscle bike fender.

Or go Fenderless? Huffy didn't do that, but Schwinn did. May be something to consider.

I like the look of the Huffy fenders with no stays on them. I was looking at some cruiser ducktail fenders I could cut down but they're drilled for stays in a bad spot. I think the front fender looks cool with the smaller front wheel too. Good chance it will be fenderless but she could use a little chrome. Still pondering the fender deal.

Crash, I like the look of the overlay, with the dill pickle guard under the chrome. That may be an option that wouldn't require as much fabrication.

Guess I should read more carefully. I see Falstaff said the same thing 2 days ago. Duh.

lGLssw.jpg

The way this is laid out, it reminds me of those Egyptian rock carvings. Kind of a flattened 3D look. Very cool!!
Agreed Bike Bum! Take away the tube in the rear and the bag up front, and this baby is frame worthy! Very artistic!

That gives me a neat idea. Not for this build off, but for another... An exploded view of a bike, mounted on a wall with a frame around it, like a picture. Perfect man-cave art. :39:

Anyway... FYI: It's still hot as heck here in the central valley of California. My garage gets especially hot because it's not insulated. I've been busy, but I plan on doing small quick tasks that will build up to the bigger ones that I'll do later when it's cooler.

You do a great job with laying those parts out. That is a great idea for man cave wall art.

I'm with you on the heat. Doing the same thing here.

Forgot to ask. What's that round chrome piece laying on the rear dropout? Really love that sprocket too!...:thumbsup:

Forgot to ask. What's that round chrome piece laying on the rear dropout? Really love that sprocket too!...:thumbsup:
That's one of these... http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/huffy-frame-protector.90989/
(I need another for an upcoming project)

And that sprocket... the more I see it the more I want to use an actual Huffy sprocket. This one is off a... now I forget. But anyway, I may use this one for my daughter's bike and paint the black (which is scratched) Purple to match her frame (MBBO5), and go with an original Huffy sprocket for this project.

Those that have followed my builds before know I always start with the wheels, and I always lace the wheels with fresh spokes because I want them to look new, and I like the way the custom spokes work to finish the "correctness" of the wheel build.

For my front wheel I went with a 22 x 1-3/8" rim to keep the difference between the sizes proportional to what an original 20/16" Slingshot was. The downside is that the only 22" rim I could find was alloy. And it was powder coated. It was too dissimilar to the steel chrome rim I had for the back, so I had a LOT of work to do on it.

A1MyfO.jpg

Here is the rim I got for the back. It had some corrosion issues and needed new life brought back to it.

CU132k.jpg

lLOGuj.jpg

The front rim took me literally a couple weeks to complete. Not solid, but when I could steal time to work on stuff, sanding that rim is what kept me busy. I used a wire wheel to attack the powder coat, and it worked, but it left gouges and texture in the rim that I had to sand down with progressively finer sand paper. After that I had to polish it a couple times to get it to closely match the chrome of the rear rim.

The rear rim I had to beat back the corrosion, then polish the heck out of it. Here are the results, completed this afternoon.

Front rim.
7ecwle.jpg

Rear rim inside (That's primer I paint in there to keep them from corroding again.)
j1sNfT.jpg

0mjCpz.jpg

KT6VOV.jpg

With that all done, it's time to lace!

Before:
F1doVa.jpg

After:
6G8Yme.jpg

Then I tension, dish and true the wheels. The alloy wheel was a treat because steel wheels just don't true like an alloy one will. That front is super smooth. The rear is well done as well, of course, because I'm awesome. :D

cLhtlL.jpg

And then some sneakers.

7rtlRi.jpg

Latest posts

Back