Mead Crusader

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Picked this up a while ago so some of you may recognize it from the for sale section. I've been piecing it together with the parts I have. Just missing the rack and horn unit at this point. I'm really happy with the way it's coming together and it's a tall frame so it actually fits me!

121211182930.jpg

Front brake and correct light added. Now to find a rack!

012312183514.jpg

Sure, back in prewar times you could buy a 26" Schwinn ballooner with one of three frame sizes. 16", 18" which was the standard size, and 20". The 20" frame took a different fork so it would be good to find a complete bike or at least a frame and fork. Hooch had one for sale a couple of years ago and I should have jumped on it. Here's a pic of my DX with a 16" frame. Notice how the rack is at a wrong angle. Wrong rack. The 16" and 20" frames took special racks. Also a pic of two 20" frame bikes owned by a member from Alabama. All postwar Schwinn ballooners had the standard 18" frame and they did away with the others. Gary
ADX005-1.jpg

prewarssm.jpg

B607 said:
Sure, back in prewar times you could buy a 26" Schwinn ballooner with one of three frame sizes. 16", 18" which was the standard size, and 20". The 20" frame took a different fork so it would be good to find a complete bike or at least a frame and fork. Hooch had one for sale a couple of years ago and I should have jumped on it. Here's a pic of my DX with a 16" frame. Notice how the rack is at a wrong angle. Wrong rack. The 16" and 20" frames took special racks. Also a pic of two 20" frame bikes owned by a member from Alabama. All postwar Schwinn ballooners had the standard 18" frame and they did away with the others. Gary
ADX005-1.jpg

prewarssm.jpg
very sweet bikes awsum

Latest posts

Back