Memento Mori

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That blue tape doesn’t give a great edge especially with slow dry enamel seeping past the edge. You need to use a good 1/4 fine line tape for that edge and will get you the results you want. Use the blue tape as a protectant of overspray not edging graphics.
Thank you! I’ll remember that for next time for sure.

Front tire and headset arrived today. Seems very odd currently. Still debating on the bars. But with the rear tire and seat in place, we will see.

23C892BA-D0A6-4885-AE28-E3AD06E1E6E3.jpeg

Hank, I'm feeling what you are about the bars. Seems like they need more 'mass' or form. The rest of the front end looks really cohesive, beefy slick front tire, double springer fork and Kore stem. Maybe a bar that has more sweep back? I used a vintage bar and flipped it on Trans-mig-RaT, kept the profile low but helped balance the springer, fat tire, and other stuff going on in the front.

Dark and moody.jpg
t could still be flipped like yours is currently, but would come back more.

Hank, I'm feeling what you are about the bars. Seems like they need more 'mass' or form. The rest of the front end looks really cohesive, beefy slick front tire, double springer fork and Kore stem. Maybe a bar that has more sweep back? I used a vintage bar and flipped it on Trans-mig-RaT, kept the profile low but helped balance the springer, fat tire, and other stuff going on in the front.
t could still be flipped like yours is currently, but would come back more.
Love the look of Trans-mig-rat! I definitely see what you mean with the bars on it. And I noticed the bars actually are in line with the seat, helping the flow even more imo. I do have a set of bars coming that would make this actually cover all three requirements. But I might throw the bars that were on it initially just to see. I even thought about just flipping the Kore stem around and bring the bars towards me. I will leave them until I get the rear tire can put the seat on so I can get a better idea for cohesion.

Hank, this is cool! What if you wrapped the chain stay on the drive side too? Carry the wrap out the back, around the muffler area.

Cool addition!

215200-580C7983-454F-48E9-9328-4A759ACBF6F4 (1).jpeg

What if you wrapped the chain stay on the drive side too? Carry the wrap out the back, around the muffler area.

I will need to get some more wrap but I like your thinking. As long as it doesn’t interfere with the back wheel or chain, would be a good look.

I was just thinking (I know, "Watch out, OJ, don't hurt yourself") it might be cool to put a shellac coating over the top of that wrap, to tie in even more with all the shine on this build.

New bars to try out. They have some weight to them but nothing terrible. Figured why not try some 1” motorcycle bars just to see. I plan on trying them several different ways. Will hopefully post pictures by tomorrow to get opinions.

View attachment 215171
I'm a big fan of 1" bars on custom muscle bikes. Adds a little extra to that look that bicycle apes try to mimic from their motorcycle countrparts.

I like option 2. But now the Kore stem looks long. I've got a black bmx threadless stem that would look killer on there. Send me a Conversation, Hank, if you're interested and I can ship it to you.
Agreed 💯%

So I will probably go straight up on the bars. Maybe a bit back depending on how it feels when all together. Rear GT Smoothie arrives today so I can get a better feel of the overall look. I plan to change out the stem, will check LBS to see if the have a better stem for this build. I’m slightly hung up on the wheels, meaning I am thinking with the white lettering on the tires the white sides don’t work. So maybe paint them red completely is where I’m leaning currently. The seat is another thing I’m debating as well, maybe actually a 26” banana seat instead of a 20”, and maybe red instead of flames. Plenty of time to fine tune still.

Latest posts

Back