Mens Shelby Traveler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Found a Shelby Traveler today, was on my folder gliding on the wind currents when I spotted it, I then swooped down and grabbed it up! :) No where near the perfect jewel, actually pretty darn rusty, but salvagable. Seems like the front end was exposed to water, humidity, whatever, as the front fender, drive side of the fork, and front hub have been rusted badly, and the fork looks a bit bent? What say you?

shelbytraveler2001_zps954a05e1.jpg

shelbytraveler2002_zps652007e3.jpg

I just got one last week, a 58. No springer on it. Frame is awesome on mine, wheels are junk. Turnin it into a Klunker,10 speed.
You got some neat accessories on that!!!!

I too found a similar frame, again no shock ease fork (unfortunalty). Mine is cracked at the seat tube. Very cool !!!

Funny thing, I tossed the the front fender I need for the Shelby about a week ago, I woke up in a "cleaning" mood and tossed a few items I shouldn't have tossed. :oops: Oh well, such is life.

Nice find! That fender looks kinda rare, I've never seen a 2-piece front fender!
Johnny
Love the rack too!

Not sure but I think the rear rack is a Wald after market, not sure though. What I am sure of is the rear Delta Triple-Lite with brake light is pretty sweet, and the frame is gonna clean up real nice, as is the crank and chaingaurd. So yeah, the fender and the rack may be "rare" but the rest of the bike is all Badd ....! :wink:

Crassly said:
Nice find. You are probably aware the bike has the Shockease hidden springer.

Just did a small bit of work and the Shockease hidden springer seems to be working perfectly! :mrgreen:
but no one answered my question? does the fork look bent to anyone?

Your pics aren't there.
ilikebikes said:
Crassly said:

Just did a small bit of work and the Shockease hidden springer seems to be working perfectly! :mrgreen:

vintage-hiawatha-shelby-balloon-tire-bicycle-shockease-fork-original_181062083763_zpsd275014c.jpg

ilikebikes said:
Crassly said:

http://oldroads.com/arch/BLL2004_7_189_26_52_AM.html
BALLOON: ShokEase Fork posted by: Gus Ruhnke on 7/18/2004 at 4:08:07 AM
Just bought a Gambles Hiawatha with a ShokEase fork. Is the spring adjustable, or are replacements available? Mine is very weak- does't hold me up at all. Cool bike I bought it from the original owner who owned it since 1942. He bought it with paper route money when he was twelve. thanks.. Gus

RE:BALLOON: ShokEase Fork posted by Gordon on 7/18/2004 at 2:13:55 PM
Nice find. The Shelby ShockEase was introduced in 1941 and then bike production ceased in 1942 because of the war. When they began building bikes again 1945 they discovered that kids wanted to see the shock action, so they developed the Shelby 3-way springer. I don't believe you can adjust the spring tension, but you might be able to find a suitable replacement at an equipment dealership or NAPA, etc.

Latest posts

Back