Mens women's parts guide?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever made a post or guide on how to tell the difference in parts on a men's or women's bike. Such as seats pedals bars? Something that would give me and others a idea on how to visually tell the difference at a swap meet or so. Tried a search and didn't really see one. Thank you

Seat are typically wider on women's bikes & the pedals are usually smaller, if they are original. I'm sure some others will chime in & give you more info on other items. I have also seen shorter handlebar grips on them too.

Pick and Ratsphinx are right, most "girls" stuff is the same as the juvenile stuff in most cases. Womens seats are usually shorter from front to back too, brake calipers on the rear were often routed upside down due to the frames and different routing. Rear wheels usually have higher tooth count cogs than mens bikes do.

I started thinking about it when I was thinking of mixing some pedal parts between 2 sets. I have a set of 60s girls Hollywood pedals on and was thinking of swapping the outer pieces with a set of the repop teardrop pedals when I noticed how much bigger they are. So women's bikes are a bigger frame with kids bike parts on it?

Hey man!
womens parts....
seat- shorter snout area also somewhat narrower
pedals- about 3.5" wide, mens are usually 4" wide
crank womens are shorter on some schwinns
front sprockets also sometimes a different tooth count
front forks, depending on manufactuer women's are about an inch longer.
grips are shorter

If pedals are serviceable, you canbasically just use the end caps, and bearings. Just about every thing else is shorter.

Back