Mesinger? HELP

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me identify this bike?
ry%3D400

Looks like the 1962 schwinn straightbar with aftermarket seat and bars.

I checked the crank housing and didn't see a number.

This is a 24" if that helps. The bars aren't original, but similar to what it had when I bought it. I assumed the seat was original. It had been repainted long before I got it.

I had always doubted this was a Schwinn until I got a couple of hits on a google image search for similar looking bikes.

Thanks for the leads!

Would it be on the inside of the dropout?

The wheels and chainguard are a perfect match! There are some nuances of the frame that seem a bit different. The head tube of my bike seems shorter than this one. I suppose that's a 26" pictured -- I wonder what the 24" frame looks like.

yeah a 24" bike would have a shorter headtube to keep the top tube closer to the ground, they were intended for shorter riders with shorter legs. the pedals / fenders / rear reflector / sprocket all match too, if you look at where the top and bottom tube meet the headtube you shouldnt be able to see any welds and the tube kind of flares into the headtube. typical of schwinns. the seat and the bars are probly the only thing not original to the bike from the pic.

if you look at the seat post clamp bolt it should say AS on it for Arnold Schwinn and Co. unless its been replaced but i doubt that

heres a pic of my 1962 typhoon 26" the frame differs from yours as the straightbar is the same bar that connects to the rear stays (it was a 1 year only thing and the first year for the "typhoon" name)

100_1109.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9775

61 and earlier bikes had seprate bars for the twin straightbar like yours does

CCR said:
yeah a 24" bike would have a shorter headtube to keep the top tube closer to the ground, they were intended for shorter riders with shorter legs. the pedals / fenders / rear reflector / sprocket all match too, if you look at where the top and bottom tube meet the headtube you shouldnt be able to see any welds and the tube kind of flares into the headtube. typical of schwinns. the seat and the bars are probly the only thing not original to the bike from the pic.

if you look at the seat post clamp bolt it should say AS on it for Arnold Schwinn and Co. unless its been replaced but i doubt that

heres a pic of my 1962 typhoon 26" the frame differs from yours as the straightbar is the same bar that connects to the rear stays (it was a 1 year only thing and the first year for the "typhoon" name)

100_1109.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9775

61 and earlier bikes had seprate bars for the twin straightbar like yours does

I dig that Typhoon frame and what you did with it! I have on of those as well (nothing original, just the frame). Mine is going flat black with some tube forks and maybe some kind of multi-speed.

I had planned on doing the 24" the same way until noticing so much of it is intact. This won't be a restore, but will be keeping the original stuff... dents and all!

So you'd say the 24" is pre-62. Is that the Straightbar or Tornado?

I noticed the AS on the seat post clamp last night.

This will inevitably be taken apart of course. Rear hub really needs re-packed. I'd also like to repaint it. The # may turn up then :)

I appreciate all the help! Thanks everybody!

The Heron said:
So you'd say the 24" is pre-62. Is that the Straightbar or Tornado?

"Straightbar" is just a generic term to describe a frame style

"Tornado" was the schwinn *model*

id say youve got a 24" Schwinn Tornado pre -62 :)

Back