"Midnight Messenger" in progress motorized bike build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone!

I'm posting this here to keep track of this build I have going on.

I got this bike from my exs garage. apparantly her grandfather bought it in the 80s and never did anything with it. I was told its a schwinn from the 70s but Idk how to tell for sure, i doubt it. the serial numbers were grinded off and the name of the last owner was stamped in its place. although I dont know why youd do that unless it wasnt some cheap knock off bike. Oh well, its a mystery I dont have much interest in figuring out.

when it was given to me, it was showing flaking from at least 4 paintjobs that I could see. it had mountain bike tires, tall BMX handlebars with a bolt on stem. the seat was stupidly high, couldnt even reach the pedals from it. and im not short.

tore that down, put white walls and regular handlebars on it. painted it primer grey. rode it around like that for about 4 months.

50of0o.jpg

So I got tired of that. quick.

I rode it to my storage unit, bought a can of flat black. lowered and dropped it as much as I could, dropped the seat, the handlebars, threw some fenders I had laying around on it. left the front forks and fender red. oh and I had some leftover woodgrained vinyl from another project and I made some random patterns over the frame and fenders with it.

6xqo11.jpg

Rode it like this for 2 days. I really like the look of vehicles with some odd colored parts. my last motorcycle was a bobber that was all flat red with a primer grey rear fender. But i couldnt stand it on THIS bike anymore so again with the rattlecan.

nb6xw2.jpg

53l547.jpg

this was yesterday.

Also, it cant be seen in the pics, but I attached an old tail light from a boat trailer on the bike, by the rear axle on the side opposite the camera facing side. and I have a giant chrome headlight im going to put on the front.

Now my next plans for this thing are definately going to go one of two ways.

either A. Ill keep this style and build a clean version out of a brand new Atlas Industrial bike I have laying around. it has a big beefy frame and real rims with thick spokes. perfect becuase I'm going to motorize it.

or B. Ill keep this frame and build something else with the atlas.

either way, next thing thats going to happen is im going to cut off the lower tube of the frame, bend it, and re weld it back. for something unique looking. maybe boardtracker style. just so it doesnt look so "beach cruiser turned motorbike" Also when I get the motor kit, Ill modify the top tube to accomodate my new gas tank. I always hated the tiny half gallon tanks that come with the motor kits. They were readily available though, and modifying each frame is a chore when your building 5 bikes a week. so I used them. I dont plan to for my personal bike though.

Also going to weld two footpegs on the rear frame and a small subframe that will hold a second seat, for passengers. It would be a sturdy secondary frame welded to the main frame so it would support the weight.

secondly. I have a sidecar I'm building, I plan on welding up a little frame to connect it to this bike, make a sidecar bike out of the whole thing. the hardest thing about it would be making the linkages adjustable to account for the angle and pitch of all 3 tires so it can ride in a straight line. especially important if its going to be motorized.

the sidecar is so I can train my dog to ride with me haha. my neighbors dog rides in the sidecar of his goldwing, looks fun.

anyways, I'll update this again when I get further along in the project. right now im riding it as is.

Forgot to mention, having a 7 speed rear hub with derailer makes this bike a dream to ride as a daily driver. working on getting my license back for a incredibly stupid reason thats besides the point, but I have to ride bicycles everywhere and going from a single speed to this 7 speed totally changed everything.

spent all day in the sun, building something great. got a nasty sunburn in the shape of a tank top on my back. burns pretty good right now

Bought a motor yesterday. 80cc RAW motor kit. off craigslist. 140$ i didnt want to wait to get it online and have it shipped in a week and also cost more.

this is my work area.

nice and tidy

2qtllle.jpg

I tore apart the black cruiser, prepared my Atlas Industrial frame for the motor. had to hammer away at it in a few spots for everything to align near enough to be useful.

qrgo4g.jpg

bought a can of flat black, spent a few hours lubing the bearings and straightening the rims and swapping parts over to the Atlas frame to make this.

33z8p5e.jpg

maybe you can tell the difference.

the Atlas frame has a slightly shorter wheelbase and different stance. also thicker tubes give the bike more presence. I kept the 6 speed and derailer becuase the original Atlas rear rim was designed in a way that i could not have working coaster brakes and the engine drive sprocket at the same time.

Also, i might have a use for the low gear and high gear to help the motor at take off and up hills.

Now I need a dual pull brake lever and good rear brakes...

long story short now I have this

29w3kt2.jpg

tv08.jpg

runs well. its a brand new motor, the guy never installed it or ran it for whatever reason. im breaking it in now.

the next thing im going to do is add some nice front and rear lights and have them battery powered with LEDs inside. i used bulbs with my motorbikes before and its nothing but headaches.

after that, im going to EITHER build some kind of light duty sidecar rig thats removable, and matches the finish of the bike (flat black with ammo cans and stuff on it)

or, have a second seatpost welded up behind mine and add footpegs so i can carry a passenger, albeit slowly, but a passenger nonetheless.

Back