Midriff-ter MTB...My home from May 1 - Aug 1...pg 15 !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice evening ride on Midriffter,found a bright spot in the woods for a photo op.

20230620_170002.jpg

20230620_165911.jpg

20230620_165922.jpg

20230620_165710.jpg

Love it, everyone on the trail, is going to say ' you need a new bike,that's a rust bucket mate' Little do they know!!!

You know, with the faux rust over aluminum and faded decals, you should've named this bike the Chameleon XLE. :)
I love that idea, unfortunately, Santa Cruz cycles already has a 'Chameleon' model.

Chameleon.jpg

Looks a little like mine, no? Ironically, before I got the idea that I could make a modern mtb out of a frame and parts that would have a RaT look but a up-to-date ride and function; this Santa Cruz model was high on my list for 'next bike'.

Of course, it's not the 'XLE' model.... :21:

You do have me thinking of a name change, however. Maybe even just add 'MTB'...'Midrifter MTB'. Doesn't really 'sing' though. :rolleyes:

It's been a hot week, low '80s by 10am, around 90° at peak. And the humidity is back.

Started riding Midriff-ter MTB pretty regularly about 3 weeks ago. Have dropped 3 lbs off my weight since. I'm not keen on changing my diet too much, and I love my beer ( much to my cardiologist's chagrin). So my goal is a 10 lb loss by Sept 1. The fun way; mountain bike trail riding!

Sometimes bikes you've built talk to you after the build too. .My Skinny build from last Fall literally whimpered as I walked in to the BACK40 and prepared to saddle up Midriff-ter for the morning ride.

So "50, Skinny, and Single" it is.

20230623_095138.jpg

Lawn got mowed first, and it was a good way to cool off after that task in our Summer heat.

Great stuff, OJ! I finally got time to catch up on your videos. I really enjoyed the patina techniques, custom instruments & all. It will be interesting to see how the matching patina comes out on that station wagon. Thanks for all the tips and updates from the Back 40!

In 1995, I hurt my back during my 20 mile mtb race at a new course that was quite bumpy, first time race there, and it had not been 'broke in' yet. Lots of dips and roots. Three chiropractic visits later, I was feeling really good. I am experiencing some back pain and mid-back muscle tightness that has come only since I've been hitting the mtb trails again regularly, on this 'rigid post' equipped Midriff-ter. It's time to employ a suspension seatpost once again.

My experience back in '95 made up my mind to try one of the many new suspension seat posts that were available. My first one was the first rendition of the Thudbuster, when they were a company unto themselves. It was pretty lightweight, and helped take the edge off and balance my front suspension fork and carbon frame.

Scan0003 (4).jpg

That was a cool bike with it's carbon frame, and Spin three-spoke monococ wheels. You can see the suspension was via a rubber elastomer, which would offer around 10-15 mm of travel, down and slightly back.

My next suspension seatpost was a Tamer Pivot Plus XC. This was light years ahead of other susp posts, and I used it on my hardtail 29er Gary Fisher Rig and my Surly Pugsley fat bike. I sold it with the Surly, and wish I had it now. It had the same seat tube diameter as my Midriff-ter.

tamer pivot plus.jpg

tamer pivot plus xc.jpg

I actually replaced parts on it after around 5 years of hard use, they still made compatible replacement parts; a sign of a quality company!

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00008.JPG

Sadly, they don't make this post any longer. But it's revolutionary design and parallelogram movement where your body moves in a natural 'back and slightly down' motion in regard to hitting bumps is copied by many. So there are quite a few choices out there. I am shooting for a sub-$100 suspension seatpost, with this parallelogram design. Here are the contenders:

The SR Suntour SP12 NCX

sr suntour susp post.jpg

Has a long enough length to make up for the 4" of suspension components at the top, and 20mm of set back; the amount of distance between the center of the post inserted in the frame and the middle of the seat clamp. I need this for my long femur and to get my fit right on the Midriff-ter. Currently, my laid back post is 20mm.
This post has a decent 50mm of travel.

355817075_1425874247956396_607419217398110463_n.jpg

The second contender is the TranzX Antishock QL

tranz-x susp post.jpg
This has a similar design, but relies on an elastomer 'spring' to regulate the travel and pre-load. There are different durometers available according to your body mass. This has a 20mm set back as well, but only 20mm of suspension travel.

The last one I am considering, is one I don't have much info on. The reason I like it is it has a lot of similarity to my old Tamer Pivot Plus in design and construction, and how it works. It is the Fastace Suspension post.
It has spring and elastomer components, CNC machined aluminum , but I can't find any specs on the set back or travel of the seatpost.
fastace susp post.jpg

They are all between $80 and $95, all have adjustable pre-load with a hex bolt inside the seat post bottom, and are all long enough for my needs. And they are all readily available. Now I just have to decide which one.

Any experience with any of these posts, anyone? Bueller?

In 1995, I hurt my back during my 20 mile mtb race at a new course that was quite bumpy, first time race there, and it had not been 'broke in' yet. Lots of dips and roots. Three chiropractic visits later, I was feeling really good. I am experiencing some back pain and mid-back muscle tightness that has come only since I've been hitting the mtb trails again regularly, on this 'rigid post' equipped Midriff-ter. It's time to employ a suspension seatpost once again.

My experience back in '95 made up my mind to try one of the many new suspension seat posts that were available. My first one was the first rendition of the Thudbuster, when they were a company unto themselves. It was pretty lightweight, and helped take the edge off and balance my front suspension fork and carbon frame.

View attachment 238598

That was a cool bike with it's carbon frame, and Spin three-spoke monococ wheels. You can see the suspension was via a rubber elastomer, which would offer around 10-15 mm of travel, down and slightly back.

My next suspension seatpost was a Tamer Pivot Plus XC. This was light years ahead of other susp posts, and I used it on my hardtail 29er Gary Fisher Rig and my Surly Pugsley fat bike. I sold it with the Surly, and wish I had it now. It had the same seat tube diameter as my Midriff-ter.

View attachment 238599

View attachment 238600

I actually replaced parts on it after around 5 years of hard use, they still made compatible replacement parts; a sign of a quality company!

View attachment 238601

View attachment 238602

Sadly, they don't make this post any longer. But it's revolutionary design and parallelogram movement where your body moves in a natural 'back and slightly down' motion in regard to hitting bumps is copied by many. So there are quite a few choices out there. I am shooting for a sub-$100 suspension seatpost, with this parallelogram design. Here are the contenders:

The SR Suntour SP12 NCX

View attachment 238603

Has a long enough length to make up for the 4" of suspension components at the top, and 20mm of set back; the amount of distance between the center of the post inserted in the frame and the middle of the seat clamp. I need this for my long femur and to get my fit right on the Midriff-ter. Currently, my laid back post is 20mm.

View attachment 238610

View attachment 238611This has a similar design, but relies on an elastomer 'spring' to regulate the travel and pre-load. There are different durometers available according to your body mass. This has a 20mm set back as well, but only 20mm of suspension travel.

The last one I am considering, is one I don't have much info on. The reason I like it is it has a lot of similarity to my old Tamer Pivot Plus in design and construction, and how it works. It is the Fastace Suspension post.
It has spring and elastomer components, CNC machined aluminum , but I can't find any specs on the set back or travel of the seatpost.
View attachment 238612

They are all between $80 and $95, all have adjustable pre-load with a hex bolt inside the seat post bottom, and are all long enough for my needs. And they are all readily available. Now I just have to decide which one.

I'm in the same market so I'll be paying attention to this

View attachment 238598

View attachment 238599

View attachment 238600

View attachment 238601

View attachment 238602

The SR Suntour SP12 NCX

View attachment 238603

View attachment 238610

View attachment 238611This has a similar design, but relies on an elastomer 'spring' to regulate the travel and pre-load. There are different durometers available according to your body mass. This has a 20mm set back as well, but only 20mm of suspension travel.

View attachment 238612

Reading the SR reviews and specs says it's only rated up to 180#. If the others are limited that'd be a factor for me

I'm gonna keep on researching

Reading the SR reviews and specs says it's only rated up to 180#. If the others are limited that'd be a factor for me

I'm gonna keep on researching
I have read reviews by 200 lb + guys who said by adjusting the tension they got good results. The thing I don't like much is the lack of pre-load adjustment on the SR.
Most of the elastomer based ones have different durometers for weight ranges of riders. I haven't seen any that don't go at least to 230-235 lbs.

I have read reviews by 200 lb + guys who said by adjusting the tension they got good results. The thing I don't like much is the lack of pre-load adjustment on the SR.
Most of the elastomer based ones have different durometers for weight ranges of riders. I haven't seen any that don't go at least to 230-235 lbs.
I think the lack of preload is concerning to me as well. I want as much adjustment as possible.

For me an elastomer model would probably be just fine since I do tend to spend a fair amount of time out of the saddle anyhow I just really want that little bit of extra bump stop for the to and from and in between. I'm pretty shocked that some of the elastomer models can get 50 mm of travel out of it. That's pretty impressive

My long time friend and former mtb racer Kevin, who has been living in Park City, UT for the past 10 yrs or so, put the Cane Creek Thudbuster LT (long travel) on his 29 plus-tired bike. Loves it.
He's a 'spinner', tries to keep RPMs up and no grinding / pedal stomping. Says the saddle doesn't bob much when pedaling, and he loves the 90 mm of travel. I just didn't want to spend 2 Bills on a seatpost.

My long time friend and former mtb racer Kevin, who has been living in Park City, UT for the past 10 yrs or so, put the Cane Creek Thudbuster LT (long travel) on his 29 plus-tired bike. Loves it.
He's a 'spinner', tries to keep RPMs up and no grinding / pedal stomping. Says the saddle doesn't bob much when pedaling, and he loves the 90 mm of travel. I just didn't want to spend 2 Bills on a seatpost.
I'm the same. Spin to win. Outcome of being a single speeder for so long

I'm with you there. I can't see spending that much

CONGRATS on cracking 10K VIEWS!!

The OddJob Awards are ready to go for BO 18!

I will be awarding the OddJob Award to a handful of winners (literally, 5 winners) for the 9th year in a row!

The bikes, which have a combination of real and faux-tina, and kool kustomization, epitomize the rat rod bicycle in my own weird RaT-ionalizations. Whether scratch RaT, pack RaT, or sophistic-RaT, they all have met my RaT-ionale for what is most RaT-isfying.

Each OddJob Award winner will be mailed a custom made, straight out of the BACK40, award formed from a gang utility metal box cover, a magnet, custom vinyl graphics, and painted this year with the same RaT-ina as my Midriff-ter build in BO 18. The award will be accompanied by a Certificate of Autho-RaT-zation declaring these rat rod bikes as the BO 18 OJ winners!

Here was my process in creating the awards the past few days. The BACK40 is still busy, even though Midriff-ter has reached it's completion for the build off.

I start with a bare metal gang utility box cover, and spray it with my main color. Then I apply the OddJob Award vinyl sticker I get from thestickermantom on ebay as I have for the past 9 years. He has many colors and fonts, and even took the time to download my 'swung note' font. Look for him for your sticker and lettering needs on ebay!

Screenshot_20230630_134921_Chrome.jpg

The lettering is rubbed on with a Bondo shaper tool, paper peeled back, and then the fun begins!

Screenshot_20230630_134939_Chrome.jpg

I used the same paint cans I worked with on my Midriff-ter build this year. The OJ always reflects my build off bike in appearance, or as close as I can get anyway. A little brown, a little vintage white, a little flat black; all from a distance. And then the textured spray from the 'top down'. Then a #0000 steel wool rub from the 'bottom up', and we get a bit of the look from the Midriff-ter. Finally, a Matte Clear to preserve the RaT-ina.

20230628_102312.jpg

And the finished product....

20230628_102739.jpg

Now it's up to you builders! Get those 'last month of the build off' finishing touches completed and if your build tickles my fancy, who knows....you may be an OJ Award winner for BO 18 !!

RaT oN~!

Last edited:

View attachment 238598

View attachment 238599

View attachment 238600

View attachment 238601

View attachment 238602

The SR Suntour SP12 NCX

View attachment 238603

View attachment 238610

View attachment 238612

I'll be interested to hear any opinions on this too. I'm considering one for my GT, maybe others as well.

Your old carbon framed racer was pretty wicked!!

Back