- Mar 26, 2012
- Reaction score
- Maplewood, MN
Will definitely try that on a pair of all to bright and white new Kendas. They replaced lovely cream colored Panaracer Magic. Would like some NOS Magics but they cost an arm and a leg. Your technique rocksThanks hbn~! The key is to not put too much on the rag, and then wipe almost all of it off again with a dry rag. I even added a touch of water to the dry rag at the end to take care of any ' too well covered' spots. Acrylic paints work well for seat covers too, in adding a bit of aging. Here is a brand new black, glossy, polo seat that I put on my Shelby Flyer Woody build, and then used a Plaid (grey-ish color) acrylic wiped in to make it look aged. Fun stuff!
View attachment 235698
View attachment 235697
I have used it on tires as well. I had these clay colored Fat Franks on my Desert Rat build, and they were the only 'new' looking part, along with my Thompson Classic Grips from @ifitsfreeitsforme . I used an acrylic paint in the same way to age them to fit this very crusty looking build.Will definitely try that on a pair of all to bright and white new Kendas. They replaced lovely cream colored Panaracer Magic. Would like some NOS Magics but they cost an arm and a leg. Your technique rocks
That fiddle is awesome. Are you going to give it some rat-tina too?
: a pleasant effect or feeling that lingers after something is done, experienced, or achieved
The question is, do we bask in the 'afterglow' of a completed build, or do we move on to another passion and keep our hands busy, and our minds creating? I choose the latter.
In 2003, I had some time available to take a sabbatical for a year. Many of my colleagues often traveled for a particular study, or wrote a book, or worked on an advanced degree / paper. Because of my inclination towards music and working with my hands, and at that time my 38 years of experience playing the violin; I enrolled in a technical school that had a 2-of-a-kind in the USA degree program in violin family instrument repair. It was about 40 miles from my home, and I went to school Monday - Thursday for 9 months from 8 am - 3 pm, and still put in around 20 hrs a week at my position at the university.
I graduated with that degree, and spent the next 15 years working pretty steadily out of my home repair shop for 3 independent music stores, our St Paul school system, and private customers doing violin, viola, cello, and upright bass repairs. Along with my bike shop employment, post-career jobs.
At this same tech college, there was a guitar program for repair, and a guitar building class on Fridays. I didn't formally take the guitar building class, but watched and learned as my fellow students went through the building process. After graduating in the Spring of 2004, I built my first solid body electric guitar out of a nice piece of Peruvian Black Walnut, with a simple direct hook-up (no volume or tone controls) of a humbucker in the neck position. A fun project, and it played great!
That satisfied me until about 4 years ago, when I decided to go one step further. I built a Telecaster style guitar, the Tel-Lee Barncaster, out of piece of trim from our cedar house and a birch top over a chambered body. The next year, I built another, and another one this past year.
View attachment 236615 View attachment 236617
View attachment 236619
I've had an electric violin that I picked up from our local shop that couldn't be repaired because of the cheap plastic and 'fake wood' construction that wouldn't hold up to the 40 lbs of string tension required for the violin stings. It kept bending. The last couple weeks, after re-discovering this in my instrument closet, I decided to build a 'Fiddlecaster' semi-hollow bodied electric violin using the electronics, fingerboard, and tail piece from this one and a body of my own design and construction.
View attachment 236620
It's particularly unusual in that it has 5 strings, the typical G - D - A - E along with a low C (the lowest string on a viola). I've never played one with 5 strings, so this should be fun!
View attachment 236621
I had some birch ply with a nice veneer on one side that I used on Barncaster left over, so that will be the top on Fiddlecaster.
View attachment 236623
And some leather dye technique later...
View attachment 236624
A nice piece of solid mahogany for the body, drilled and then routed for a lighter and more resonant body.
View attachment 236625
View attachment 236626
Sanding in process right now....
View attachment 236627
View attachment 236628
Looks cool! Did you seal it with anything to protect your clothing?Thanks hbn~! The key is to not put too much on the rag, and then wipe almost all of it off again with a dry rag. I even added a touch of water to the dry rag at the end to take care of any ' too well covered' spots. Acrylic paints work well for seat covers too, in adding a bit of aging. Here is a brand new black, glossy, polo seat that I put on my Shelby Flyer Woody build, and then used a Plaid (grey-ish color) acrylic wiped in to make it look aged. Fun stuff!
View attachment 235698
View attachment 235697
Thanks! It's chambered on the bass side and solid on the treble. The figured Maple takes to the dye / sand off / dye method well. Love the feel of the Ebony fretboards. Mahogany body like the fiddle. Warm tones.Wow, that blue hollow body is really nice! Impressive work!
Thanks, JA! I learned my love for woods and working with my hands from my dad. He could make anything out of wood, and make it look good.Beautiful work Oddjob. I can only imagine the pleasure you get from handcrafting your own musical instrument. I have a friend who builds high end classical and acoustic guitars using exotic timber such as Brazilian rosewood. I love going to his shop to see what the instruments he is building or in for repair.
I finished fiddling around out in the garage...