Mini Velo (ALTON)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would this work with a two ring chainring?

Left 3S shifter 2.jpg

SHIMANO SIS SL TY-22-A 3 SP BIKE SHIFTER

You can use any type of rear derailleur on any type of multi speed rear cog, the thing is that you have to make multiple adjustments to get the gearing just right. The reason I say this is because it took alot of adjustment to get my Genesis super 32' cruiser to gear just right, I put a Shimano 7 speed derailleur on a 5 speed rear freewheel cog and it took patience and trial and error. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do things on bicycles. I would've never of thought that I could have a 65T chainring with a 5 speed freewheel cog on a single speed coaster brake cruiser :)

Sent From Mars
If what you are trying to say is it should work then that is good. Just in case you missed it I was talking about the chainring and adding a front derailleur.

Ok I changed out the chainring (53T/39T), but still waiting on the shifter to install the front derailleur.

New chainring 1.jpg

Does the chain length look right in these two pictures (Top on the large chainring and smallest cog, Bottom on largest chainring and largest cog). The reason I ask is because this is the original chain which when I measured around both of the biggest gears it looked to be two links longer as it should measure.
New chainring 2.jpg

Before (old chainring)
New%20Tires%201.jpg

After (new chainring)
New chainring 3.jpg

Would this work with a two ring chainring?

Left 3S shifter 2.jpg

SHIMANO SIS SL TY-22-A 3 SP BIKE SHIFTER
I would avoid a SIS front shifter because it won't allow you to trim the front derailleur to avoud the chain rubbing the derailleur cage. Also, that shifter is designed to work with mountain/hybrid front derailleurs. The cable pull ratio of road front derailleurs is slightly different. A simple friction shifter will work best.

Chain length is perfect. That via fd will play nice with the SIS shifter, but you may get a little rub if you are cross chaining. Maybe not since the chain is swinging across a narrower cassette, thus less deflection, than an 8,9, or 10 speed setup. I would have preferred a friction shifter, but I think you're going to get it working just fine.

Got my new derailleur and thought I still got the wrong one again. Turned out that my BB axle was to long, so it made the outside chainring stick to far out. I was able to flip the axle around which brought the ring in closer to the frame. I still really need a shorter crank axle because when I have the chain on the big ring and small cog I still get a little bit of chain rub every so often. I also ended up using a friction shifter for the left side.

Front Deraileur 2.jpg

Front Deraileur 3.jpg

I also installed the grips I got from
ifitsfreeitsforme. They were his second sample of the new ones he will have soon.
Front Deraileur 4.jpg

Been also thinking that the fenders need some paint slung on them. I would throw some black on them if I did it and then put red strips back on them. What do you all think?

Back