Mixed up Mixte

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tire width is the only rule. But it is a rule. 1.5" max makes the 24" tire probably too wide although there are 24 x 1 3/8 Same with the 20" front you have might be too wide but there are 20 x 1 1/2 just rare.

The tire width is the only rule. But it is a rule. 1.5" max makes the 24" tire probably too wide although there are 24 x 1 3/8 Same with the 20" front you have might be too wide but there are 20 x 1 1/2 just rare.
Or put a banana on it and move it over to the muscle bikes...

I toyed with the idea of removing the stays and lowering the seat awhile back, but never did it.

I was gong to cut where the yellow lines are and bend the stays down so the set tube would keep it's seat collar, but just removing them would have been better.
mixte frame - Copy.JPG

A quick arrangement on the garage floor. I think it has potential. I wonder how much fork extension is practical.
I am contemplating deleting the seat stays and shortening the seat tube, but hesitate because then there will be no turning back. Any input?
I've telling @MattiThundrrr I've been wanting to do this for a year now I got the idea off a mx style muscle bike.
IMG_20221011_172351381.jpg

I imagine it would look something like this.

I toyed with the idea of removing the stays and lowering the seat awhile back, but never did it.

I was gong to cut where the yellow lines are and bend the stays down so the set tube would keep it's seat collar, but just removing them would have been better.
View attachment 213439
Seat stays down would look really cool extra lines.

I've telling @MattiThundrrr I've been wanting to do this for a year now I got the idea off a mx style muscle bike.View attachment 213446
I imagine it would look something like this.
I had a certain 26" BMX in mind, but I can't remember what it's called, it has 2 top tubes and 2 down tubes, usually light blue.

I think the guys are right, this has always struck me as a Muscle build over a Skinny build. Then you could chop your seat tube, or leave it, go to a wider 24" whitewall to go with that awesome front wheel / tire combo, and have some more fun with saddle and bars. The original paint is so cool, I would def try to stay with that.

Another option would be a 26" wheel / tire in rear, and keep the frame as is. You will probably get pretty close to level chain stays, which always makes for a good stance, and still have the juxtaposition of the two wheel sizes.

hes-right-you-know-image-566702-morgan-freeman-53644077~2.png

Absolutely right. The rear tire is marked 22 X 1 3/8 and the front measures a hair wide at 1 9/16". I am hoping to find a narrower front tire byfinal assembly time. This creation seems to be evolving into the muscle genre, so I may move it there.

Last edited:
All good little brother. Just go by what the tire says on it. Looking fine, I've always wanted to build a flipped over mixte...
One of these days...

So many cool things you could do with a mixie I have a Raleigh mixie I've been just dying to cut up. Just need all the right parts to go with it

I have challenged myself to do this build with what parts I have on hand and a skinny 20" tire has become a roadblock. I am shifting over to another option. I have everything on hand to build a 3 speed roadster with 26 X 1 3/8 wheels and incorporate the original fork. I'm glad now that I didn't rush ahead and cut up this frame. The extended fork will most probably end up on a muscle bike build in the appropriate build off category.
IMG_2170.JPG

I've come close to cutting up my mixte also, but never could do it.

It looks like you have plenty of decent parts for a roadster.

Sounds like a plan! For the added flair, I like the idea of the drop bars. That would set this apart from the norm, besides the cool mixte frame, that is. :wink1:

This is a nice one I just found on Google search...

mixte frame drop bars.jpg

It was a decent day for painting today. Not real warm, only 6 degrees above freezing, but sunny and no wind. I preheated the frame with a heat gun and paint with hot water
IMG_2172.JPG
before taking outside and all went well. I will give the paint some time to cure as I shift attention to my muscle bike entry.

Last edited:
The paint is not cured yet bit if I am careful I can start building. I had a new pair of 26 X 1 3/8 whitewalls for a restoration project that found a new home, so now they can go on the mixte. Its kind of a blank canvas still and I find myself staring at it a lot imagining the possibilities. I am leaning towards building it up as a fairly traditional around town 3 speed bike with upright bars or maybe upside down bars, but probably not drop bars. Hmmm....
IMG_2184.JPG

Latest posts

Back