Model T Bicycle car. Too much for me?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a picture of a Model T bicycle today. I really want to make one! Has anybody attempted this? I just think it would be awesome to make! Thanks! 8)

Vintagebikebuilder said:
Do you still have them? It would be nice for a head start!
Yes I do, if I can find them I'll post them here.

Okay here's some of the plans that I had to build mine. I too have really limited storage space so I gave up on the idea for now. My design also incorporates a full suspension / adjustable ride height system. Here's the basic idea behind the chassis. The fenders and wheels would move independent from the body to allow for ride height adjustment and suspension travel. First cut up two girls frames as such.
bikecarplan.jpg

Few sketches
bikecarplan1.jpg

The body itself was to be made from PVC pipe and fittings to conserve on weight
bikecarplan2.jpg

Then covered in duct tape or some other light weight media
bikecarplan3.jpg

Maybe a Radio flyer wagon for the bed
bikecarplan4.jpg

a cut away sketch
bikecarplan5.jpg

And my original inspiration
bikecarplan6.jpg

bikecarplan7.jpg

outskirtscustoms said:
Okay here's some of the plans that I had to build mine. I too have really limited storage space so I gave up on the idea for now. My design also incorporates a full suspension / adjustable ride height system. Here's the basic idea behind the chassis. The fenders and wheels would move independent from the body to allow for ride height adjustment and suspension travel. First cut up two girls frames as such.

How would you create the axles?

Vintagebikebuilder said:
outskirtscustoms said:

How would you create the axles?

I'd have used the bicycle frames to hold the wheels then use jack shafts to get the chain over to that spot. That way I could lower it without it getting in the way.

This being one side of the suspension
bikecarplan.jpg

Please post the original pic you saw, this sounds interesting.

On the other hand those modified boneshaker pics are cool too.

This sort sounds like those four person rental bike-cars, is that what your thinking?

Vintagebikebuilder said:
This seams very interesting. What is you took two identical bikes.. And sorta welded them to some supports? Then build around what
The idea I was thinking was to just make a very basic frame out of square stock and make some hinge brackets to hold the frames from the crank housings and weld in some points to mount shocks and such. I'll revise a few drawings and post them when I'm done.

Vintagebikebuilder said:
Alright, Thanks for all your help outskirt! :D
No problem, just remember all of my designs are from thoughts and brainstorms, not tested, attempted, built, or guaranteed to work.

outskirtscustoms said:
Vintagebikebuilder said:
Alright, Thanks for all your help outskirt! :D
No problem, just remember all of my designs are from thoughts and brainstorms, not tested, attempted, built, or guaranteed to work.

No worries! I've been there. I'll just branch off of your designs and find an easy way to test the ideas!

Vintagebikebuilder said:
Here is the pic I saw
4dabe41b.jpg
If I tried it, I would use this basic design, but bring the front wheels forward like a stretched front beam on a ratrod car. Then I would bring the cranks forward and lower the seat. It would position you between a standard bike stance and recumbant, but you would be sitting more like in a modern vehicle. Then chop the top to get it more like a rat.

ozzmonaut said:
Vintagebikebuilder said:
Here is the pic I saw
4dabe41b.jpg
If I tried it, I would use this basic design, but bring the front wheels forward like a stretched front beam on a ratrod car. Then I would bring the cranks forward and lower the seat. It would position you between a standard bike stance and recumbant, but you would be sitting more like in a modern vehicle. Then chop the top to get it more like a rat.

Yup! Then add a small bed in the back, to complete the look and functionality.

Latest posts

Back