Mofo / MoFaux 8/1 They're Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Mofo / Update on MoFaux 7/27

ruddigger said:
How did the mold turn out? It's a tricky shape, I imagine it's a two part mold?

I tried to make a one piece mold, it didn't work...it eventually became apart in two pieces. I had to splice the two resin half's together.
1e037bd1.jpg
If I ever do this again I certainly won't use modeling clay...next time I'll use some kind of clay I can shape and finesse then fire in my oven. I have a lot of work left to do on this piece with sanding and shaping.

That is one cool Jules Verne/Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers little spaceship!!!
Cool skillz!!!

fordsnake said:
ruddigger said:

I tried to make a one piece mold, it didn't work...it eventually became apart in two pieces. I had to splice the two resin half's together. If I ever do this again I certainly won't use modeling clay...next time I'll use some kind of clay I can shape and finesse then fire in my oven. I have a lot of work left to do on this piece with sanding and shaping.

Try http://www.chavant.com/chavant_ob/index.shtml, this is the stuff we use in the ID biz. You heat it up to mold it than as it cools you can sculpt it to a baby smooth surface.

tvc15 said:
fordsnake said:
ruddigger said:

I tried to make a one piece mold, it didn't work...it eventually became apart in two pieces. I had to splice the two resin half's together. If I ever do this again I certainly won't use modeling clay...next time I'll use some kind of clay I can shape and finesse then fire in my oven. I have a lot of work left to do on this piece with sanding and shaping.

Try http://www.chavant.com/chavant_ob/index.shtml, this is the stuff we use in the ID biz. You heat it up to mold it than as it cools you can sculpt it to a baby smooth surface.

Gotta get me sum of this fa da next time!!!! I'm so old school, I'm still living in a world of clay and plaster of paris. Thanks for this info...I'm open to new insights and tricks of the trade.

EastOfEastLos said:
Skills, skills and more skills.. You sir have a plethora of skills 8)
I'm not good at any one thing I just like playing around.,,and like my Mama use to tell me, "Boy, you're a Jack of all trades and a master of none". :D

Rather cool is an understatement! Nice work!

That thing is amazing!!!
You really do need to find a little Marvin the Martian action figure to ride it now.
Either that or Slim Pickens!!!

slim1-pickens-bomb.jpg

I'll be interested to know how that paint holds up. In my experience "chrome" spray paint never dries properly, and doesn't look good for long.

Awesome! Deferring to your judgment, you may consider encapsulating the newly chromed "spaceship" in a few coats of a hard clear coat. Maybe even dipping it in some sort of shellac/gloss clear poly. Your call, way way cool Mr. Jack of all trades! - I think most of us here qualify, to a degree, as Jacks of all trades as well.. :mrgreen:

Man that looks cool! Superb work! :D Great job on getting the shape real nice and smooth looking.

For next time, if you can get hold of it, try 'Super Sculpey'.

supersculpey.jpg

It's fantastic stuff, I can't recommend it highly enough. I have been through many sculpting clays, plasters over the years, I have always come back to this stuff. So easy to use, super soft to mold. Just bake in the oven and then you can sand, scratch, paint, what ever you want and it's super Strong! Just type in Super Sculpey into google, click the image and see the stuff that can be created with it, it's such a brilliant product!

char said:
Man that looks cool! Superb work! :D Great job on getting the shape real nice and smooth looking.

supersculpey.jpg

It's fantastic stuff, I can't recommend it highly enough. I have been through many sculpting clays, plasters over the years, I have always come back to this stuff. So easy to use, super soft to mold. Just bake in the oven and then you can sand, scratch, paint, what ever you want and it's super Strong! Just type in Super Sculpey into google, click the image and see the stuff that can be created with it, it's such a brilliant product!

I have a few boxes of this stuff. I pick it up at the yard sales the art students have when they are going back home.

kingfish254 said:
I have a few boxes of this stuff. I pick it up at the yard sales the art students have when they are going back home.

Cool. Yeah it's brilliant stuff! :)

ruddigger said:
I'll be interested to know how that paint holds up. In my experience "chrome" spray paint never dries properly, and doesn't look good for long.

EastOfEastLos said:
Awesome! Deferring to your judgment, you may consider encapsulating the newly chromed "spaceship" in a few coats of a hard clear coat. Maybe even dipping it in some sort of shellac/gloss clear poly. Your call, way way cool Mr. Jack of all trades! - I think most of us here qualify, to a degree, as Jacks of all trades as well.. :mrgreen:

ruddigger said:
If you put a clear coat on chrome spray paint it turns dull grey.

After I began the assembly, first thing I noticed was that my chrome rocket stuck out like a sore thumb...too much bling on the front end with those lights. So I redid the rocket today to match the rest of the faux patina.

char said:

supersculpey.jpg

I wish I had this stuff last night...I was up to 3:30 am sculpting a small rocket emblem for the rear fender.

Re: Mofo / Update on MoFaux 8/1

Well, Mofaux is 98% done...the only thing left to do: add the chain and seat cover, however, I'm still vacillating on recovering the seat.
All of the paint's done and all of the pieces are finally in place. This was more of a personal challenge for me...to see if I could build a second bike in the time frame.
07107385.jpg

43bc081f.jpg

8ced4350.jpg

316be195.jpg

228077b3.jpg

ee8f1063.jpg

Last night I had Mofaux sitting in our living room...both my wife and I came to the same conclusion of which one of the two bikes to submit.

Any thoughts?

Back