Monark Mega/Sunlite DeLuxe/Kai Cheng Fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But here's a question for those of you who are using this fork now- How much lateral play do you have in the bottom rockers? On mine, the four bolts are most assuredly tight and in place, but there has always been a slight amount of side to side play between the front and rear pivots. It does not translate into the wheel wobbling in the fork or frame, though. Odd. Anyway, is this how the rest of these things run, or have I been risking my fool life for these last couple years?

JWM

I finally got my new bike on the road with the 1" threaded Sunlite fork. Don't really have any side-to-side movement but the fork rattles when you're moving the bike around with the wheel off the ground. No noise when riding even while hitting bumps. So far so good.

porucho049.jpg

Last edited:
I just got an 1 1/8th" version. Very pleased for the price, $133.oo, shipped from green canyon outfitters.
1397206502942_zps522112f4.jpg

And to cure the linkage slop, ACE hardware has nylon/teflon washers. I got some thin ones that fit over the shoulder bolts, tightened them until the fork had just a touch of stichion, with no springs.

1397207279986_zps4f6e27f8.jpg

Some of you aren't going to like this, if you are a Monark fan run, run far away!
It is a better unit out of the box! My wifes is lighter. It steers so fast no handed is out of the question. Also it took some time to get the Monark not to pull.
The sunlite, I looked at it and took a guess! Perfect!

I've ridden my Porucho with the Sunlite fork around a lot and it's been great. I'll have to try those washers to take out some of the rattle although it doesn't seem to affect the performance of it.

I put the Felt Abraham Linkage fork on a Basman and it's actually nicer. No rattles, and seems a bit softer so more springer action even though it's a lighter bike. Originally I would have thought that Sunlite made the Felt forks but there are just too many differences for that to make sense. Either way, both forks are nice and the Sunlite ones will take a larger tire and is easier to get.

basman2_014.jpg

"Sunlite" doesn't make anything. JB Importers uses the "Sunlite" brand on items that come from manufacturers that are unknown or unloved in the States.

"Sunlite" doesn't make anything. JB Importers uses the "Sunlite" brand on items that come from manufacturers that are unknown or unloved in the States.

Yeah you've said that before but since these are sold under the "Sunlite" brand it's the way people talk about them. I should have been clearer and said the manufacturer didn't appear to be the same and not use the "S" word. I'll try to do better in the future.

Sent from my HTC One M8 via Tapatalk 4 Pro

Ha. No worries. It just kinda gets my goat that a brand name that doesn't even have a factory anywhere gets credit for "making" stuff. Sorry to be so pedantic.

So who do you think makes the Felt one? Supposedly Felt is going to make more available, at least that's what they're telling some of their dealers.

Maybe I am wrong, again.....
But I thought sunlite brand was actually the parent company???
Kenda tires are sold.under their banner, no lack of love there.

:rofl: True, true... but I bet there was actually a Mrs. Butterworth plant somewhere...

FWIW, I will always love Mrs. Butterworth.... she taught me everything I knew about the female anatomy until I was, like, 16....

Maybe I am wrong, again.....
But I thought sunlite brand was actually the parent company???
Kenda tires are sold.under their banner, no lack of love there.

Kenda is a tire manufacturer; some cheaper KEndas and some CST/Cheng Shin tires are sold as Sunlite, via JB Importers... which is why the JB East address and Sunlite address are exactly the same.

It's kinda like how the first Mitsubishi cars in the US were sold as Dodges....

It's also super common in the bike world. I recently bought a Surly fork; there's a CWI engraved on the steerer. CWI is aka Jiun Yih industries, out of Taiwan. The exact same fork is sold as a "Pyramid", without the Surly sticker, for about $25 less. Next time, I'll get the Pyramid version, since I'm just gonna peel those $25 stickers off anyway. :crazy:

This is also why, half the cheap POCs you order as "Sunlite" will come in with a different label (eg, "Sunlite" SS freewheel is a Dicta...)

Listen, I'm not trying to be a snob, I just think credit oughta be given where it's due. Let's recognize Kai Cheng for their efforts. All "Sunlite" ever did was order a buncha forks for distribution. Someone else actually made'm.

I took Mikeees advice and added the nylon washers from Ace Hardware to the Sunlite 1 1/8 fork. I am glad I did. There is no side to side slop at all. Its quiet now going over bumps as well. Thanks for the tip!

Used self lubricating bronze thrust washers when I installed my "sunlite" springer on my Deep Six. Worked out great. Bought them at a local hardware store.

Beautiful bike Joe...

Luke.

There was a sleeved bolt?? Maybe you would call it that and no washers of any kind. The inside of the washers were a hair too small. Dremeled and filed the inner surfaces of the washers until they fit snugly. Bronze on both inside and outside and then locktite on inner nut so it doesn't back out. Sorry don't remember what sizes I used. They were sae. You might be able to order metric sizes online that would fit better.

There was a sleeved bolt?? Maybe you would call it that and no washers of any kind. The inside of the washers were a hair too small. Dremeled and filed the inner surfaces of the washers until they fit snugly. Bronze on both inside and outside and then locktite on inner nut so it doesn't back out. Sorry don't remember what sizes I used. They were sae. You might be able to order metric sizes online that would fit better.

Humm... I'll take some pictures when I get home.

There was a sleeved?? Maybe you would call it that and no washers of any kind. The inside of the washers were a hair too small. Dremeled and filed the inner surfaces of the washers until they fit snugly. Both sides and then locktite on inner nut so it doesn't back out. Sorry don't remember what sisez I used. They

Latest posts

Back