Monark Mega/Sunlite DeLuxe/Kai Cheng Fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These forks have been available on Amazon lately. Search for sunlite deluxe springer. The 1 1/8" threadless one is available right now. The 1" threaded ones are available at times but typically they are listed as threadless.

That looks like a nice fork, the vertical sprinters ride so nice, have better steering response than horizontals.

Today I took some pictures of all three forks together. The two Sunlite Deluxe Springer versions and the Felt Abraham Springer. There are several differences. The front fork is taller over the tire on the Felt where the Sunlite is wider at the top of the back fork. The dropouts are also different. The Felt has nicer hardware but the springs look nicer on the Sunlite.

In these pictures the black tire is a 24x3 Thick Brick on a Felt 50mm wheel. The white tire is a 26x2.35 Project 346 Balloon on a Felt 50mm wheel.

From left to right, Sunlite 1" threaded, Sunliite 1 1/8" threadless, Felt 1 1/8" threadless.

springer_01.jpg

springer_02.jpg

Felt 1 1/8" threadless

springer_03.jpg

springer_04.jpg

springer_05.jpg

springer_06.jpg

springer_07.jpg

springer_08.jpg

Sunlite 1 1/8" threadless

springer_09.jpg

springer_10.jpg

springer_11.jpg

springer_12.jpg

springer_13.jpg

springer_14.jpg

Sunlite on the left, Felt on the right.

springer_15.jpg

springer_16.jpg

Cool comparison pics, NickG. The fact that the Sunlite has disc tabs whereas the Felt doesn't is a pretty big deal, too.

Cool comparison pics, NickG. The fact that the Sunlite has disc tabs whereas the Felt doesn't is a pretty big deal, too.
More room for wider tires too!

Luke.

10mm is a big difference when you are trying to squeeze those fat tires in!
I guess with the disc tabs, extra width and nicer springs the Sunlight would be the choice to go for?

Luke.

I'm going to be using the Sunlite threaded version on my Porucho with 24x3 tires on 50mm Felt wheels. I'm using a drum brake so the brake arm bracket is handy for that. Just have to be careful when installing or removing the wheel as it's easy to bang the rim on it. Also I like the shorter front fork since I'm going to be running a fender and it will attach there.

The Sunlite one is definitely easier to get. Don't know if Felt will make any more of theirs since they don't use it on any of their current models.

I'm glad this topic came up. I've had the Abraham Linkage fork on my red bike for a couple years, now. If you 're think of getting one, here's a note- the fork is not bouncy like a Schwinn style springer. It's quite firm, but it does take the jolt out of the road.
But here's a question for those of you who are using this fork now- How much lateral play do you have in the bottom rockers? On mine, the four bolts are most assuredly tight and in place, but there has always been a slight amount of side to side play between the front and rear pivots. It does not translate into the wheel wobbling in the fork or frame, though. Odd. Anyway, is this how the rest of these things run, or have I been risking my fool life for these last couple years?

PICT0021.JPG

PICT0003.JPG

JWM

But here's a question for those of you who are using this fork now- How much lateral play do you have in the bottom rockers? On mine, the four bolts are most assuredly tight and in place, but there has always been a slight amount of side to side play between the front and rear pivots. It does not translate into the wheel wobbling in the fork or frame, though. Odd. Anyway, is this how the rest of these things run, or have I been risking my fool life for these last couple years?

JWM

I don't have my bike put together yet so I can't vouch for the ride. I doubt you're risking your life. A lot of the motorized bike people use these over the Monark reproductions.

I was looking at that. might be an option. i guess it could wind up costing more but if i cant get the 1". at least the price on the fork is down.

My frame is set up for a 1 1/8" but I want to use the 1" threaded so I can use an old style stem and also be able to easily remove the handlebars for when I put it in my car.

Yeah I'm not really sure ill like how a thread less stem will look with that fork. It would be nice I I could find the 1". I could use my headset and stem that's on the bike now. I never owned anything with the thread less setup.

Back