Monark Mega/Sunlite DeLuxe/Kai Cheng Fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled a bolt out to show you. Better than trying to explain it:

I will be trying to change to something like this below to replace the setup on the outside one of these days. Might work better.

Here are the pictures. Can't tell if its' the same on my other one without taking it apart. They are not tight in the bores but they also won't come out easily.

springer_17.jpg

springer_18.jpg

what's the max width tire that this fork will take?

I'm thinking about getting one of these for my wife's Sun Crusher which has 100mm wheels and 26x3.5 tires (Vee Speedsters)

I'm thinking about getting one of these for my wife's Sun Crusher which has 100mm wheels and 26x3.5 tires (Vee Speedsters)

There is only 90mm of inside width. The Felt one only has 80mm.

Sent from my HTC One M8 via Tapatalk 4 Pro

Can someone please post pictures of the 1" fork where the brace goes onto the steer tube? I can't picture how that works. Is it held between the two nuts? Is there a pince bolt.

Also can someone confirm the ID of the steer tube, is it 22.2 or 21.15mm?

And, is the crown race 26.4 or 27mm?

Thanks
-G

I've ridden my Porucho with the Sunlite fork around a lot and it's been great. I'll have to try those washers to take out some of the rattle although it doesn't seem to affect the performance of it.

I put the Felt Abraham Linkage fork on a Basman and it's actually nicer. No rattles, and seems a bit softer so more springer action even though it's a lighter bike. Originally I would have thought that Sunlite made the Felt forks but there are just too many differences for that to make sense. Either way, both forks are nice and the Sunlite ones will take a larger tire and is easier to get.

basman2_014.jpg
Lookin' good man. Very clean..

-J Wolf

Well, I can answer one of my own questions.
It takes a 27mm crown race. Which is contrary to a description I found somewhere in the neitherweb. Dang. Hope the HS I bought for this build has a 27mm crown race that will fit the bearings and cups.

Bump for an extraordinarily informative thread!

There is only 90mm of inside width. The Felt one only has 80mm.

This fork can handle a Kenda Krusader 24X3; this is on a 2006 Schwinn Manta-Ray

FatBloke001_zps456fb041.jpg

FatBloke003_zps4939ae8a.jpg

FatBloke004_zpsfa690acb.jpg

FatBloke005_zps0d2798cc.jpg

FatBloke006_zps1b3187e8.jpg

FatBloke009_zpsf99964f3.jpg

After looking at the pics, I realized that the springer was assembled incorrectly :oops:.
It has now been fixed. :confused:

Now it’s right – duh!

Oh well, nothing wrong with an occasional serving of Humble Pie to keep one’s ego at bay. :oops:

2006%20Manta-Ray%202-24-15%20002_zpsd8x8taen.jpg

2006%20Manta-Ray%202-24-15%20004_zpskzdgract.jpg

I just put a set of the Sunlites on my Red Baron. I got them through J&B via my LBS.
rbf8.jpg

I did have to add a nylon washer on each pivot bolt to keep it from rattling, and I also added a small bit of grease, since the pivots were dry. I could not get a 26"x3" tire to fit without rubbing, but the 26x2.5 tires on the Baron along with the wide 3G rims work fine.
rbf9.jpg

There was also a strange square bracket on the inside of the right front fork leg (see pic) that just barely brushed against the spokes until I made a small adjustment. I have no idea what the bracket is for, and will probably cut it off when it gets warm enough to get to the angle cutter again.
One plus is that the Sunlite version is available in both 1" and 1 1/8" steertubes

Last edited:
The Red Baron looks great with that fork.

I think that bracket may be for a drum brake arm....at least that's my guess.

The Red Baron looks great with that fork.

I think that bracket may be for a drum brake arm....at least that's my guess.
Now that you mention it, i believe you're right.

Back