monark sex change

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I was sitting here bored so I decided to strip the parts off of the girls monark I picked up yesterday. Somebody mentioned to make it a boys bike. I thought I have a bandsaw ,welder,some pipe and I'm pretty sure i can change a frame ...even without my jig. So after a little work and some of the paint removed I'm on my way . It felt like old times. It felt really funny being so short. I still have reserations on adding the second tube. Got a bunch of twin bar frames . Im thinking its almost through. Any input on this one will be welcomed. To twin bar or not to twin bar that is the question. :roll:

monarkbuild001.jpg

monarkbuild002.jpg

before

monark002.jpg

Spent the day cleaning up the springer. I found some chrome acorn nuts at the hardware store an everything else came back good . All the rest of the chrome stuff polished up. I painted it a metallic green. All in all after I got all the baby blue paint off it turned out really nice.

monarkspringer001.jpg

Actually you inspired me for something cool on my own spare girl's frame. Put another parallel straightbar about a third of the way down the downtube and make a big Cycle Truck style sign plate.

I probably wouldnt have done anything to it ,but it was cracked on the bottom tube where it was welded to the neck. If your going to mess with one you might as well go all out... :wink:

Well I got a little more done . So far I have cleaned and painted the springer ,painted the frame ,cleaned up the front wheel...and of course gone from a girls to a boys. It takes me 4 hours to strip a wheel ,clean and paint the rim,clean each spoke,polish the nipples respoke and true the wheel . Seems hardly worth it for a bike that will never be worth anything because its frame has been changed. Oh well :roll:

change004.jpg

That looks awesome already Stretch! So, what's your technique for polishing spoke nipples? I have plenty that need it, but haven't figured a way that doesn't take forever... ~Adam

Rustinkerer said:
So, what's your technique for polishing spoke nipples? I have plenty that need it, but haven't figured a way that doesn't take forever... ~Adam

It does take a while, but since they are brass i kinda screw them on a spoke a little and then use the wire brush on my bench grinder to clean them off. they will screw on farther when you do it so then i just turn around and hit them the other way and it unscrews them.It goes pretty quick.

Rat Rod said:
Bike is looking great!

Hope you plan to put some white walls on that thing. :D
Really cries out for some of those all white tires but unless someone has some cheap it may be regular tires. :roll:

i kinda screw them on a spoke a little and then use the wire brush on my bench grinder to clean them off.
That's what I was thinking about doing. May have to give that tumbler thing a try. Thanks, Adam

Back