Mongoose Beast Fat Bike build and ideas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet... but I just realized you had no brakes after installing the hub before installing the brake... so how did you stop?

Ordered a Green Walgoose sunday...got it tuesday! Shipped in double box, box was in perfect condition so was the bike no scratches. I have a few questions, I been lurking for a while, first time post. Pretty awesome site! This is my first bike purchase in 15 years, I bought the thing just to have fun on it and get riding again...the main purpose is just to "cruise" the lakefront bike trails in Chicago on nothing more then the pavement. I'm not expecting any performance from this bike at all. Dry fit everything today, and things seem to be in order, I'm going to take it apart and grease everything tonight- as reported by everyone headset tight- cranks tight however I did take it out for a test spin just to get the feel of things...down the driveway and up two houses and back.

I will be moding it, I like the look of kbollox's goose

797398d1368045936-mongoose-beast-modifications-imag0234_zpsc29be3fe.jpg

Couple questions if you guys dont mind? I'm a pretty big dude, 6-5" and part of the 300 pound club. What would be the best cog for purely cruising- no hills. The 18T on it now...is kinda hard to start out? Or is just Me? Also it "seemed" like the bike didnt roll very well? LOL I know there alot weight on it! but im flashing back to my BMX days and how easy my bikes rolled back then if that makes sense? Would changing the tires and tubes make a difference? what about the hubs?

Parts I'm looking to get - all the standard stuff most guys modded out...like Tires and Tubes-Crank- Stem- Bars- SLOWRIDERZ "BEAST" LAYBACK SEAT POST...Pedals. Given my size...any suggestions?

Thanks! looking forward to getting this BEAST on the road!

got the disc bracket mounted. just a trial for now, used the other posts idea but used some alu. gotta get some bolts for a stronger mount to frame but as of now it will slid the tire on concrete! Now just have to shape it up polish it out an remount.

aka_locojoe said:
chumiller22

I'd suggest a 20t sprocket but if you're making other changes you may want to wait and see if it rides easier or harder after your other mods and then decide on the sprocket.
I put a 22t on mine but I take it on trails.

As of this weekend, mine is a 34:23, sounds really low, but it's a dream, mine also goes offroad and we have hills around here.

chum iller, i think it rolls okay. that bmx bike was a looong time ago. welcome back, and have fun!

jwood, that rear brake is sweeeet.

yoothgeye said:
aka_locojoe said:
chumiller22

I'd suggest a 20t sprocket but if you're making other changes you may want to wait and see if it rides easier or harder after your other mods and then decide on the sprocket.
I put a 22t on mine but I take it on trails.

As of this weekend, mine is a 34:23, sounds really low, but it's a dream, mine also goes offroad and we have hills around here.

I wanted to try a 20 tooth rear sprocket, it never showed, but I used an old set of chain rings to go 34 instead of 36 on the front gave me a very good gear for the flat roads and flat offroad here in Fl. This is just a generic set of chain rings off a walmart mtb.

o9fp6o.jpg

I am building a fat tandem for build off 8. Thanks for the purchase information on the sun lite tires I ordered a set they look perfect. I never assembled the beast. The day I got it I took it apart and cut it up the next day. I need to keep the stock chainring, but what would be a good choice for a rear cog. I was thinking a 20 or 22 I can't find anything larger than a 22 for a coaster brake. If anybody has any ideas the most ridable gear, would like to hear them. Here is my progress so far.

113e6f8c76e4ebed8c31cbac8e1a7fd6_zps7c1163a0.jpg

Amazon has up to a 23t, and people sell them on eBay too.

My gearing is 34:23 and it's pretty easy, not fast, but with the extra weight of more metal and an extra rider that may or may not be a good helper, I'd go 36:23.

Went and hit some local trails today. What can i say about it? The beast is a Beast and it did awesome, the gear ratio of the sa is perfect. Went through a hole today that was pretty muddy, following a good sized hill. my buddy on his 26er mtb lost to much momentum from the mud and did not make the hill. The Beast carved through and to the top! Very impressed with this bike, well worth the money i put into it

@ Uncle Stretch.......either that's a different/custom frame, or it's highly modified. Either way, could you share some details please ?....especially about the fork !

Back