"Most over done trend?"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flames, FLAMES, ahhhhhhhhhhh There I said it. Boy do i feel better! I can take a deeeeep breath now! :p

gowjobs said:
Add another to the "too many flat black/red rims/whitewall" brigade. That was played out two years ago, but I still see it being done more often than I'd like. Plenty of $70 Wal Mart Huffys getting a coat of $4 rattle can flat black, and being listed on Craigslist for $120.
couldnt have said it any better! i promised myself i would never do a flat black build,even for a customer! :shock: in 2011,all my builds are going to take a new direction. im finally ready to......."go past the point of diminishing returns"! :lol: :lol: :lol: its the new flat black. :wink:

Rust.

Rat Rod is doing his best to prevent Patina from growing on his Bikes!

Cheers to him for doing his best to prevent the perpetuation of a really over done trend! :D :D :D :D

I have to say i have seen enough of the fixies also..but now guess i have to go another direction with my beach cruiser..since it has lived most its life as a "satin black / red rimmed" masterpiece...so what do you all see as "in" now for it..i will be waiting patiently for further instructions...somebody PLEASE say "old school HUGE metalflake hung in an aztec gold...if Bikeangel sees it on here it may persuade her that i am not totally insane !! :roll:

My top ten.
1.White wall tires...they get dirty too quick.
2. Brooks saddles...They look great BUT...I cannot justify spending over 100.00 on a piece of leather with a hard metal base. (I'll get flamed for this one.)
3. Really tall ape hangers... looks silly.
4. Skulls... already mentioned.
5. Iron Crosses on everything...mirrors....pedals...caps...decals...etc. A couple here and there is ok.
6. Gears...HATE THEM! Just my opinion. :mrgreen:
7. Fixies! 'nuff said.
8. Aluminum frames...what's wrong with good 'ol steel? It's cheaper, rides smoother, easier to repair.
9. Overly stretched chopper bikes...not very practical.
10. Spandex!

gowjobs said:
Add another to the "too many flat black/red rims/whitewall" brigade. That was played out two years ago, but I still see it being done more often than I'd like. Plenty of $70 Wal Mart Huffys getting a coat of $4 rattle can flat black, and being listed on Craigslist for $120.

Man you're out of date we don't buy it at Wal-mart anymore! Us craigslist idiots are too cheap for that! We buy used Huffy bikes from craigslist for $10 and we don't spend $4 to paint them, More like $1 flat black from the dollar store. Only light prep with a sanding sponge, a can of $2 red from same dollar store for the wheels (no masking). and a few rusty bits from god knows what. And a couple $2 RatRobBikes decals. LOL....Just kidding. I have to say it's a look that should be the basis for a classic Rat Rod, It should not be the only thing that classifies it as a Rat Rod. Mine I have done MANY other custom touches to so I don't consider mine part of that trend.

PA210156.jpg

On another note, the top trend I hate is the builds I can't afford! Most of these guys spend more for tires than I spend on 3 builds! They look great but what ever happened to the good old backyard "beat it with a hammer till it looks right" Rat Rod? I'm a low to no budget type of guy and I love making rats out of nothing. Sometimes less than nothing. Just my $0.02 :mrgreen:

alright, i'm sorry but i can no longer associate with you anti-rat types. :lol:

i'll say it and i'll say it proud.
one can never have too much flat black, white wall tires,red rims and most importantly the skulls.
(iron crosses i can do without)

what i have seen enough of to last me a lifetime is rusty bikes.
i'm not talking patina, i'm talking cheap asian metal thats been out in the snow for a year kinda rusty.
the type of bike you can only ride after labour day, so your white pants don't turn orange. :)

yeshoney said:
Flames, FLAMES, ahhhhhhhhhhh There I said it. Boy do i feel better! I can take a deeeeep breath now! :p
Sorry Bro, flames will never grow old no matter how hard you try. If I can lay flames on a Toyota Camry and get away with it, you can put them on anything. :wink:

xddorox said:
yeshoney said:
Sorry Bro, flames will never grow old no matter how hard you try. If I can lay flames on a Toyota Camry and get away with it, you can put them on anything. :wink:

Oh come on bro you can't say something like that without a pic! It's against the rules.......or should be....lol

Re: "Most over done trend?"
by old school 64 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:28 am

"I have to say i have seen enough of the fixies also..but now guess i have to go another direction with my beach cruiser..since it has lived most its life as a "satin black / red rimmed" masterpiece...so what do you all see as "in" now for it..i will be waiting patiently for further instructions...somebody PLEASE say "old school HUGE metalflake hung in an aztec gold...if Bikeangel sees it on here it may persuade her that i am not totally insane !! "

I'll say it "Huge Metalflake !!"

Over accesorized all chrome 20" lowrider bikes with lowrider brand everything. Its kinda like a chevy truck that someone threw the Lund accesory catalog at. No thought at all. Oh man I feel better :mrgreen:

I'll say it, store bought stuff! Anyone can throw a credit card at a build and come out with something cool, but to take something that was never ment for a bike at all, modify it and make it work, THAT'S Rat Rod!

Latest posts

Back