"Most over done trend?"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did somebody say that flames and skulls are out? Im going to cry myself to sleep tonight.
DSC01545.jpg

i thought about it, bicycle helmets!
i think there about as useless as boobs on a bull, and oh so darn ugly!
this "i'm scared of my own shadow" trend has got to give.
short of falling on the very top of your skull, what do they protect?
i mean really bicycle helmets?
whats next? jungle gym helmets? perhaps golfing helmets?
i'm surprized all children aren't required to wear helmets in cars where the real russian roulette is played.
:cry:

cruisehard said:
2. Brooks saddles...They look great BUT...I cannot justify spending over 100.00 on a piece of leather with a hard metal base. (I'll get flamed for this one.)

Yes you are going to get flamed, because Brooks saddles (the leather ones anyway) do not have a metal base (which means you have never had one). They are also probably one of the best saddles to own because they form to the rider, making them comfortable. The ones that have bases are either cheap vinyl covered saddles. The only other style with a thin leather cover was a plastic base with foam.

I agree to a point though. Brooks seats are becoming the norm in almost every cycling category. It would be nice to seat some custom leather saddles. I'm working on a plug to mold my own leather. My Mom in law does tack work and embossing. I hope to have a few seats done by Spring.

icyuod2 said:
i'm surprized all children aren't required to wear helmets in cars where the real russian roulette is played.

Are you cereal? :shock: One day I crashed hard and looked at my helmet. A drop of sweat escaped my skin knowing that the damage could have happened to my skull. Wearing a helmet can be the ticket for life sustainability in rare cases. In other cases, they sure can prevent a lot of pain and brain loss.

People make fun of me for wearing a helmet. This one girl kept on discouraging me for it. That's the same girl who says she'd rather swerve to miss a squirrel and hit a tree going 70mph. Safety first, squirrels second! :lol:

That skeleton bike looks like it's jumping at you and saying brains, too bad it's not all black and slimy.

Too much skulls yes but one or two no, I was thinking of skull valve caps for Christine bike, over done lowriders bike because it's like putting wings on a car that would never go fast enough to even use them.

Spokeshave..Thanks dude !! I read it to her this morning..she still thinks i am crazy..but she will get used to it !! Benny Hill was the king in my book by the way !! Off to go hunt me down some Aztec !! Got the week off between Christmas and New Years..going to git-r-done !

Spokeshave said:
Re: "Most over done trend?"
by old school 64 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:28 am

"I have to say i have seen enough of the fixies also..but now guess i have to go another direction with my beach cruiser..since it has lived most its life as a "satin black / red rimmed" masterpiece...so what do you all see as "in" now for it..i will be waiting patiently for further instructions...somebody PLEASE say "old school HUGE metalflake hung in an aztec gold...if Bikeangel sees it on here it may persuade her that i am not totally insane !! "

I'll say it "Huge Metalflake !!"

schwinnmesa said:
icyuod2 said:

Are you cereal? :shock: One day I crashed hard and looked at my helmet. A drop of sweat escaped my skin knowing that the damage could have happened to my skull. Wearing a helmet can be the ticket for life sustainability in rare cases. In other cases, they sure can prevent a lot of pain and brain loss.

People make fun of me for wearing a helmet. This one girl kept on discouraging me for it. That's the same girl who says she'd rather swerve to miss a squirrel and hit a tree going 70mph. Safety first, squirrels second! :lol:

oh i'm cereal! the skull is far stronger than we give it credit for.
i've done all sorts o crazy on board and bike alike, and i've never been in a situation where a styrofoam beanie would have offered any form of protection what so ever.

wearing a bmx helmet is one thing, but these styrofoam beanies are just a gimmick in my books.
they might save ya from a couple small bumbs or bruises, but when it comes to an impact where set beanie is surposed to save your life, well they just split like a ripe watermellon and offer little to no protection.

outskirtscustoms said:
xddorox said:
yeshoney said:
Flames, FLAMES, ahhhhhhhhhhh There I said it. Boy do i feel better! I can take a deeeeep breath now! :p
Sorry Bro, flames will never grow old no matter how hard you try. If I can lay flames on a Toyota Camry and get away with it, you can put them on anything. :wink:

Oh come on bro you can't say something like that without a pic! It's against the rules.......or should be....lol

Here we go (For those who saw this before, I apologize). Here's some step by step pictures of a $8 spray can flame job on my son's 1995 Toyota Camry. I have outlined the flames since with One Shot green enamel.

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

As for the helmet discussion, I will never ride without one after bouncing off a car 10 feet in the air and slamming my head on the pavement. If it wasn't for an incredible Ninja move I pulled, my skull would have been fractured. I use a skate helmet with a hard shell.

As for the helmet issue. Yeah, I hate them too. I feel like a real dork with that thing on my head. It must be a real sight an overweight ,middle aged dude with a dome head on a ratty old Schwinn Varsity . But around here it's a necessary evil. If I'm in a park or quiet path no I don't wear one but on the streets everyday I don't leave home without it.

Most over done treads? Selling cheap old bikes for new prices, Fixies, why ride a bike that you can blow out your knees on. flat black, red rims, fliped handle bars. I like white walls on the right bike, Tall bars are fun even if they are a little impractical.

Helmets say what you will, I have to admit I don't always wear a helmet when I'm ride my cruisers, but if I'm riding my road bikes, I'm wearing my helmet.

I crashed a bike going about 20 mph downhill on a gravel trail, landed on my head and shoulder, ripped the S?%# out of my shoulder and a week later had a post-traumatic concussion that almost killed me. My doctors told my wife if she hadn't got me to the E.R. when she did I could of been dead in a short time.
I was off work for quite a while.

Sweet job on the Camry. As far as helmets go I have to admit I ride not only bikes but also my scooter with no helmet. When I'm going on long trips or into busy places then I do but otherwise it's just a hat and shades.

Yeah - I ride with a helmet when I'm racing. I've never worn a helmet to ride street in my life. I have, however dented a motorcycle wheel with my head before.

I have to say Fixies.

I like 70s 5 speeds myself, and this Fixie craze has made getting another one on the cheap next to impossible.

I would buy a bike with a flip flop hub, but I would only use the freewheel side.

I agree with those that think the flat black is over done. when my brother saw my faded green Murray w /beach cruiser bars, he QUICKLY told me "That's no Rat! it HAS to be flat black w/ red painted rims and ape hanger bars." I thought rat was building with what you have, and I don't want to ride a bike that looks like everyone elses.
As far as the helmet thing goes, I ride without one, but where I ride(mostly around my town) there's little to no traffic. My town is approx. 4 sq. miles, with a population of about 450 people. If I lived in a big city, like K.C., I would prob. wear one, if I could find one that didn't make my already large pumpkin(size 7 1/4) look huge. LOL

Rat is what you make it, but I personally love the flat black/red combo. I know it's not the wisest of me, but I can't wear a helmet. I see people riding around with one on, and all I can think of is my years I worked with the developmentally disabled, and all the times I had to tell one of them to remember their helmet.

I usually have on a hat though, so that should provide a little protection from that projectile that falls from an airplane and hits me in the head.

Guess I`d better put my two cents in... I can appreciate a lot of different styles, but the one thing that I`ve seen enough of is the "Boardtracker" that consists of nothing more than a bar flip. I mean...C`mon! :roll: :lol:

As for the helmets, having worked in a bike shop for years and seen the remnants of many of the lids after accidents, I can absolutely GUARANTEE they work. Helmets are sacrificial...they`re give their life so you don`t!

NOTHING is overdone...Or... EVERYTHING is overdone.....Just depends on what mood you're in. :lol:

"most over done trend' (tricky topic by the way :wink: )

I guess a trend is not 'over done' until a commercial company is producing and selling that trend to the masses. If you see the weekend pics of your co-worker riding with the wife and kids on his and hers and theirs flat black electras with the word 'ratrod' on the tubes you've got to scratch your head before aplying that flat black paint to your 'custom' ride...

But flatblack with redwheels has become a standard. A classic, sort of. Just get the 'right' tone of red. Not the reddest red with the blackest black... Old original hotrods (we're supposed to get our inspiration from) had seldom the red 'we' are using today. I probably won't mind seeing flatblack cruisers with dark vintage red wheels. Burgundy. That sort of thing, as opposed to the commercial in-your-face signal retro kinda red...

But there are sooooo many other cool vintage color combinations to choose from...

Flipped handlebars.
I love em. Can't get enough of em. My roadbike has one. Because I got inspired from early boardtrackers that got em. I mean REAL BOARDTRACKERS. Not Motorcycles but early Boardtrack BICYCLES. People think it's extreme. Or the seatingpossition is extreme but really... It's just an 'in-between' position comparing to racing handlebars. Calling flipped bars silly means calling recordbreaking roadbike-racing silly... And really, if a bike looks 100% better with a flipped bar... c'mon. I don't think they're becomming that common...
Come to think of it... I've yet to see a second bike with flipped handlebars on the street....

I think a low seat is silly though. On a childrens' sized bike. That's what's really causing back problems... :wink:

As for the fixies.
Anybody who's tinkering with and enjoying his bike is doing something good by my book. Even the fixed gear crowd. What I don't like is fixie-posers. But than again, I don't like ratrod-posers either...

Ohw, and last year I heard someone at a hotrodshow yellin':
Metalflake is the new flatblack! :mrgreen:

...and pinstriping has also been flourishing rather well lately...

Still lovin' it!

Back