MTB info, PLEASE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This has been in the back of my sons shed for a LONG time!......The story is, someone owed him $700 dollars in 1996(?)...They didn't have the money to pay him so he settled the debt by getting this. Flash forward to 2010, is it worth anything? It's a Pro Flex 856. Rock Shok fork. Mavic rim in front, Parallax in rear. Titanium frame and handle bars, and aluminum swing arm.........VERY, VERY LIGHT! Is this supposed to be a "good" bike? I'd appreciate any info.......Thanks

002-30.jpg

001-32.jpg

The bike makes me look good!.....I can just reach over the side of my truck, and pick it up by the down tube and lift it out with ONE hand!

EDIT: I just spotted Hooch's thread on a similar bike!........mines better :roll:

you would get a better idea of worth over at the vintage/retro/classic forum over at MTBR.com they really know their old stuff. What kind of cranks are those? If they are Cook Bros they would be worth something.

Don't forget to take the Bell seat off before you post it over there lest your britches get roasted...ha ha! :lol:

The LT said:
you would get a better idea of worth over at the vintage/retro/classic forum over at MTBR.com they really know their old stuff. What kind of cranks are those? If they are Cook Bros they would be worth something.
Cranks have no markings on them...thanks for the MTBR.com info...................I wonder how it would look with apes. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
KOTA said:
The LT said:
Cranks have no markings on them...thanks for the MTBR.com info...................I wonder how it would look with apes. :roll:

It might be worth a ride down to Newtown CT. to see what I could trade you for it..LOL :wink:

Thanks for the info guys. This was an easy bike to research. From what I can tell they can go anywhere from $300-$500. When my son "acquired" it, it was worth a little more then $2000 (it was less then a year old). Bighit, after reading your post I took a better look at it and you're right, it's aluminum. From reading a bunch of reviews, it's one of those bikes that you either love or hate....The one good thing about this bike.....It hasn't been used since 1996 and it's in perfect condition.....Thanks again!

The LT said:

Was Cook Bros even around back then? :p

The end of the crank at the bottom bracket doesn't look round enough, probably shimano's or someones attempt at a copy. I gues that's supposed to be flattering?

looks circa early to mid 90's. proflexs were nothing special and their rear suspension "bumpers" were rather unimpressive. any deore on it may be signs of descent components, but at this rate, just be glad there is no biopace on it.

Back