Murraycer - now the Airstream Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I've been collecting parts for a couple of months and I'm not quite done collecting, but I thought I would start a thread on my build.

As some of you know my son and I are working on his rat. He is going to help me on mine. Here are the parts:

DSC02795.jpg

It's an old Murray frame that I plan to throw lots of new or newish parts at. I'm attempting to make a very ridable rat racer bobber tourer skid contest winner. I don't like to name bikes and such, but I thought I needed a thread name, so that's why that is up there.

Thanks flying dingo for the frame, bikebuilder for a seat post, blink for a "string of parts", stingrayjoe for a seat, assorted dumpster finds, and lastly ebay (letitrollbikes to be specific).

Re: Murraycer

only your superhuman strength (read; freak of nature) could make that rear wheel/tire fit in that frame. wow.

being a genetic misfit has it's benefits. :wink:

if you look closely you can see where I marked the chain stay with a Sharpie before I widened the frame. That's where the widest part of the tire needed to be. An it's where I placed a 2x3 when I squeezed the frame back together. Last night I hung the frame up from the head tube to do a better check than just eyeballing it. I hung a plumb bob from the seat tube and measured from the string to each drop out. I got lucky. the frame bent pretty equally. I adjusted it a bit. tire spins freely. If it were a old bent rim It would ever work.

I found my crappy phone photos that I took when the frame came out of the box.

1017081822a.jpg

1017081822b.jpg

I was trying it with a new 29er fork I picked up at Nashbar really cheap. I decided to use the Murray fork after I saw someone use 3/8" brake line for a truss. I bought some 3/8" line today.

Brick looks great on there.Any ideas on color(s)?

really happy to see the bike getting attention now. it sat around my shop for a long time, nothing to do with it, i started on it, had a problem with the wheels on it, then gave up...bought other projects.

what are your plans for colors?
i planned on doing the daytona yellow with gunmetal grey or black wheels

it didnt arrive with all those scratches on the headtube did it? i dont remember doing that :?:

I have some ideas about color. one was leave it alone. which went out the window when some of the stripper I was using on Boy's bike got on the head tube. (that should answer your question, dingo) I still might leave it as is. sand it smooth and coat it in flat poly. I might even add some "distressing" to it before the poly coat. or I'll paint it. :? <shrugging> :? Still a work in progress.

I think the yellow on it looks tight with the brick.What's up with the boys bike?

This really bad paint has finally triggered an idea for a theme. Airstream!!! I have an Airstream camper so this is a natural. the frame will be silver. the chain guard will be riveted on as will anything else that would normally bolt or screw on. I have some aluminum panels that I am going to use as a tank. I will rivet them together. I'll need to find some Airstream blue for an accent color, perhaps some scallops. I'm pretty psyched.

here's my trailer: 1973 Overlander
0813081805a.jpg

I love the airstream idea.Right before the Tour De Fat I mistakenly picked up a can of aluminum paint thinking it was gray.I toyed w/ the Airstream idea and even had some pink flamingos which I thought would fit right in.I hope you go with this concept,it would be really cool. 8)
00Hib7-31845584.jpg

That is a very cool concept.Those trailers remind me of the movie "Whats eating Golbert grape?" :)

Do those trailers have buyable taillights that could possibly be put on your bicycle?It would be cool to have it metal with painted rivets,or maybe the real thing.Good luck!

Back