my '63 typhoon build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so im redooing my 1963 schwinn typhoon mens 26" bike. im doing it pretty much original except for maybe a couple minor things. any how it might be a slow build as money is an issue right now but heres a few pics so far. ps sorry for the huge pics, i have no clue how to re size them, any one know how?
heres the frame in all its glory(or lack there of lol)
069.jpg

070.jpg

heres my rear wheel all tooken apart and repainted. im hoping to use my stencills that i got off of ebay later today to stripe it so i can assemble it and tear apart the front one.
072.jpg

rear hub. instead of the original red stripe i decided to paint it black, this is about the biggest peice of non original mod to the bike.
073.jpg

some of my parts
066.jpg

067.jpg

068.jpg

heres some original used schwinn westwind tires im planning on running on her.
071.jpg

:roll: :D

o yeah, im planning on spray painting or powdercoating her gloss black, wich ever my pockets will allow. i heard its good to paint over the original paint, any advice on this?

One other option you might want to consider, clean and shine the original paint. Schwinn paint is very good on those older bikes, a good cleaning using a mild cleaner, no abrasive, and then a couple coats of car wax may bring out the color very well. The finish looks fairly good from the photo. If not, then you may not need to sand it down to bare metal. If it isn't rusty, then the original paint can be sanded smooth, primer applied, then a couple coats of your favorite paint. I prefer rustoleum glass enamel, coats well and keeps a shine, but needs a lot of time to dry. I would match the paint with the same brand of primer also and make sure the temperature is warm enough. With powdercoasting, I think the shop that does that handles the prep so they can guarantee the finish.

Are those tires 26 x 1 3/4 or 26 x 1.75? Your original rims are probably 1 3/4, and 1.75 tires won't fit.

Wildcat said:
One other option you might want to consider, clean and shine the original paint. Schwinn paint is very good on those older bikes, a good cleaning using a mild cleaner, no abrasive, and then a couple coats of car wax may bring out the color very well. The finish looks fairly good from the photo. If not, then you may not need to sand it down to bare metal. If it isn't rusty, then the original paint can be sanded smooth, primer applied, then a couple coats of your favorite paint. I prefer rustoleum glass enamel, coats well and keeps a shine, but needs a lot of time to dry. I would match the paint with the same brand of primer also and make sure the temperature is warm enough. With powdercoasting, I think the shop that does that handles the prep so they can guarantee the finish.

Are those tires 26 x 1 3/4 or 26 x 1.75? Your original rims are probably 1 3/4, and 1.75 tires won't fit.
WELL I HAD THOUGHT ABOUT LEAVING THE ORIGINAL PAINT BUT IM KIND OF BENT ON A SHINY GLOSS BLACK PAINT SCHEME AS THESE BIKES ORIGINALY FOR THIS YEAR WERE EITHER RED OR BLACK AS I UNDERSTAND. PLUS I HAVE A SET OF NEW S. TYPHOON DECALS IM ITCHING TO SLAP ON IT. CAN YOU FIND THIS RUSTOLEUM GLASS ENAMEL AT SAY A WALMART?
PS YES, THE RIMS ARE THE ORIGINAL S-7'S AND THE TIRES ARE 26X1 3/4

I think black will be awesome. As for sanding down to bare metal ive never understood the point. My father owned a body shop when I was growing up and he always said nothing Sticks better than factory paint.his shop always smoothed out and primed and painted over factory paint when possible. As for powder coat they will do all the prep

Yep, Rustoleum gloss enamel (not glass, my typo) spray cans are available at walmart. Right next to the cheaper brands, but their gloss black is very good, I used it on my Raleigh and it looks like factory black. The red and cream has held up on my Schwinn for 5 years now, still glossy. Easy to touch up also.

1zokj0j.jpg

Wildcat said:
Yep, Rustoleum gloss enamel (not glass, my typo) spray cans are available at walmart. Right next to the cheaper brands, but their gloss black is very good, I used it on my Raleigh and it looks like factory black. The red and cream has held up on my Schwinn for 5 years now, still glossy. Easy to touch up also.

1zokj0j.jpg
That's a really sweet schwinn wildcat. Any more pics of it and the Raleigh? what is the schwinn? I've got the same exact horn tank on my cruiser classic that I'm proably going to end up putting up on this bike.

Yes, that's a repop tank on my 53 Schwinn Meteor frame, it didn't come with a tank. Same size as your Typhoon. My Raleigh.
bemnn.jpg

ndaway said:
I think black will be awesome. As for sanding down to bare metal ive never understood the point. My father owned a body shop when I was growing up and he always said nothing Sticks better than factory paint.his shop always smoothed out and primed and painted over factory paint when possible. As for powder coat they will do all the prep
Thanks for the comment. I'm more than likely going to do it like your pop dud it in his shop. just going to sand down the ruff spots in the original paint and primer over the rest than paint it black like the rolling stones, lol. I'd like to powder coat it but I won't be able to afford it right now.

ok so heres the stencils i bought off of ebay to paint the black lines on my s7 wheels
001.jpg

here is the wheel with the stencil applied wich by the way isnt very hard just super time consuming. its a bit of a pain in the ... trying to get them on there good n straight but i emerged victorious(just like the 2011 nfc champion san francisco 49ers, yeah woooooooo! oh, sorry lol)
004.jpg

002.jpg

now for even more fun than the last step, masking off the side walls of the s7. i could of brushed the paint on and skipped this step but i didnt have any fresh brushes. i can safely say i was cursing like a sailor at this step.
006.jpg

005.jpg

heres the end result. came out pretty good except for one spot were the tape lifted and i got some overspray. if you end up buying these stencils make sure you set them in place really good, you dont want these to start lifting on you.
008-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

007.jpg

i know the pictures suck, it was getting dark and the lighting in our garage isnt the greatest. ill try and retake them tomorrow, i just realized how crappy they came out.

Wheels look good!
As a fellow 63 Typhoon owner (but no purist by any stretch), I vote to keep that original paint! I actually wish the original red on my bike had a bit more patina.

GTV said:
Wheels look good!
As a fellow 63 Typhoon owner (but no purist by any stretch), I vote to keep that original paint! I actually wish the original red on my bike had a bit more patina.
Lol. When I first got her I wanted to leave her in her og red paint but it's pretty crappy, I want to pretty her up. It's covered in scratches and scuffs that are not very visible in the pictures. You have any pics of yours?

My scratches and scuffs were all covered in a not quite matching shade of nail polish when I got my bike. I spent a good amount of time taking that off. It shows it's age, but shows it well I think. Yours does to. They're only original once. Sorry, I don't have pics yet. Soon.

ok so i went out and took some nicer pictures this morning, thankfully the sun was out.
069-1.jpg

the stripes look a little red in these pics because of the sun shine
067-1.jpg

068-1.jpg

heres were the stencil lifted slightly
073-1.jpg

im going to wait a little longer for them to dry and mask off that little overspray section and paint over it. im still wondering if i should clear coat the wheel. ive had some experiences were i clear coat things and the paint itself ends up running, not sure why.

I was able to get the bit of overspray black off the wheel. I masked it off leaving only the oversprayed area exposed then I proceeded to spray that area with the white and the black overspray began to run! I grabbed an old rag and just wiped it clean, good as new. I don't think I'll be clearcoating as much as I want to for fear of the rest of the stripes running as well. Next up is re-lacing the wheel, I sure hope I can get it back on correct. I didn't start on the front wheel so I could use it to remember how the rear one gets laced up.

Back