my attempt at a lowrider

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well the extra weight when my fat dog and I are on it takes a bit of time to build up speed ... and took me a while to figure out the handling but now that i am used to it it rides sweet very smooth...... at cruising speeds the cart floats off the pavement in right hand turns, its a lot of fun

the sidecar comes off easily, I set it up to slide off of mounting points and its held on with pins takes just a minute to remove or attach

now its time to focus on finishing the bike most of the grinding is done and i am only a few hours of prep away from paint should be done in a few weeks at most

That is awesome.

Is the lower "pan" of the sidecar a wagon body (as in Radio Flyer type)?

yes, the body pan is a radio flyer 90 that i hit with the lawn mower and killed ... the frame is a chopped up trailer that the cloth sides had dry rotted adn torn off so a bit of cut and paste ...
i was inspired and put it all together so fast i forgot to take before picutes sorry

the dog is a champ it took me a few minutes to teach him to get in but he digs the ride ... well not so much the corners but... he doesnt jump out

i did a bit of work on the bike this week .. cut of the old fender and built a new one out of the old western flyer fender sliced it down the middle tacked in a 3" wide strip of tin

000_0231.jpg

but 11 pounds of bondo

000_0232.jpg

three hours of sanding (should have been a lot more ... no close ups of this baby)

000_0234.jpg

primed it up .. had to see it all in one color .. for now

well its been a while since i logged in .. had a computer melt down .. so as i promised heres the finished bike (for now)

000_0254.jpg

000_0258B.jpg

000_0252.jpg

painte the white walls they looked goood ., well ok when they first got done .. it rides as good as ever ...

000_0255.jpg

000_0247.jpg

000_0246.jpg

hope ya'll like it ... nowe i got bout a million posts to read to catch up on things, laters

Thanks guys! ...

That's great! love to colour...perfect for Christmass

What did you use to white eall the rear tire?

plasticote spray paint.... i had a spare tire with a bad spot on the side ... so i patched it up and spray'd it down...looks good in the pics ... but not great up close, anymore .... had to see if it would work... back to the drawing board lol

KOOL Ride ! And with a dog. I think those Labs like bikes. I got A friend who rides with his yellow lab in a trailer and another guy that rides with his black lab as a four legged meat motor. Makes me want to chop up some old bikes and get a dog. Nice bike. Dangerous Dan

Man.... you have inspired me!

I've been kicking around the idea of a Rat-style HPV designed to go VERY fast..... and your Low Rider design may just be the ticket I was looking for! Since it's so low, it has a rather small frontal area.... which could translate into low drag. With the right gearing, a little tweaking of the ergs, and a fairing, that baby would really ZING! PLUS it's just plain COOL.

This might be one of those "eureka" moments you see on TV. You are a genius!

Back