My Corvette

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bikeriderx said:
I think mine's a '77 Corvette?
IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg
Thanks Adam!

sprucemoose said:
... I've got a pair of Quick Bricks comin this week :D hope they fit under the fenders! I also figure they'll give me a smoother, softer ride...

Those should work out great !!! those fenders were begging for bigger tires :D

New tires, new bars, hub rebuild :cry: :|

almostmaybe.jpg

The new tires are great, like riding on clouds. They feel a bit slow, but give a much cushier ride. Well, style is really getting in the way of my comfort. I switched out my flipped cruiser bars for these flipped moto bars and I'm still feeling like they're too low. I intended to make the alley cruiser more like a road bike, but low and compact looking. I ended up raising the seat because it was killing my knees. So that killed the low compact plan. Now, my neck gets stiff on longish rides and it seems like I've got too much weight on my hands.

I see guys with really low setups--really low bars and seats. I don't know how to make that comfortable for rides more than a mile. :?: I'm thinking of putting the bars on the right way and thinking of this more like a klunker mt. bike than a road bike. maybe I should think of it as a cruiser, but what's the fun in that?

hey moose -nice build for sure. the fender install is great. everything looks clean. I hear you on the comfort thing. I love the rat rod style but I always feel ultimately a bike has to be practical for getting around. most stock cruisers have bars that are too high so that all your wait is on the seat. they also usually have too high a gear. I find the best riding position is when bars and seat are set at the same height (assuming the seat height is appropriate for efficient pedaling). it's hard to get style and ride-able in the same mix. the sprung brooks doesn't hurt though.

sprucemoose said:
New tires, new bars, hub rebuild :cry: :|

The new tires are great, like riding on clouds. They feel a bit slow, but give a much cushier ride. Well, style is really getting in the way of my comfort. I switched out my flipped cruiser bars for these flipped moto bars and I'm still feeling like they're too low. I intended to make the alley cruiser more like a road bike, but low and compact looking. I ended up raising the seat because it was killing my knees. So that killed the low compact plan. Now, my neck gets stiff on longish rides and it seems like I've got too much weight on my hands.

I see guys with really low setups--really low bars and seats. I don't know how to make that comfortable for rides more than a mile. :?: I'm thinking of putting the bars on the right way and thinking of this more like a klunker mt. bike than a road bike. maybe I should think of it as a cruiser, but what's the fun in that?

The hotrodders dillema... Style vs rideabillity. I want all my bikes to be rideable. I love low seats and handlebars. I think everybody on this site does. But I also think that everybody is looking at everybody elses' 'low' bikes and ask themselves:'How do they ride THAT??' I'm glad I like many different bicycle styles so I can mix it up a bit. I'd love to build a racing bike, ratrod style using a cruiserframe... To me, driving what you've build is the main part of the fun.

Sweet! Love everything! What kind of tires are those? Great job on the head lamp...Is that a bicycle made lamp or one you fabbed up?

Thanks for the compliments and opinions guys. Let's see... I think I'm going to flip the bars back to the way they're supposed to be tomorrow morning and add on some cool black speckled cork grips I just grabbed.

The tires are brown Felt Quick Bricks 26 X 2.125. It's like a serious suspension system man.

That fender mounted headlamp is a modified Blackburn light. It was designed to wrap around the handlebars. It also has a clip so you can take the light off and on so it won't get stolen.

light_before.jpg

I gave it a new paint job, cut off the band that wrapped around the bars and mounted the clip to the fender. I can still take the light on and off.

light_after.jpg

I'm really happy with this light. It gives a good level of brightness and its been running on the original batteries from over 2 years ago! I want to figure out something similar for a tail light.

herr_rudolf said:
sprucemoose said:
I'm really happy with this light. It gives a good level of brightness and its been running on the original batteries from over 2 years ago! I want to figure out something similar for a tail light.

Same light, red lense?

Something like that might be right on time. Somebody makes transparent paint, right?

sprucemoose said:
herr_rudolf said:
sprucemoose said:

Same light, red lense?

Something like that might be right on time. Somebody makes transparent paint, right?

Shure. Model (car) building shops could help you out. But you can also consider making your own lenses out of clear red plastic you can find ...anywhere. Hobbystores for instance. Or try to find adhesive film in graphic stores maybe...

Good luck.

Back