My Corvette

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job! Don't throw that 2 speed kick back hub out, they're worth a few bucks.

ej599 said:
Nice job! Don't throw that 2 speed kick back hub out, they're worth a few bucks.

I have some remorse, but I ended up putting those wheels back on the curb. With a definite lack of space in my apt. I can't keep too many parts. I wish I kept the hub though. I hope that some kid found it and started building his own bike. That's how I got started with building bikes--finding them in garbage piles...

I'm making some progress with the detail work. Here is the refinished light mounted to the fender:

light_fender.jpg

and the newly painted (red primer) inside fenders/chaingaurd:

insidefender.jpg

and then the glow in the dark Spruce Moose Skull with Tirefly® eyes. These should blink as I hit bumps and such (hope it works!):

sprucemooseskull.jpg

Well, I had a hunch that the antlers on my spruce moose skull weren't gonna last very long and just over a week later they're gone. Rip off in my marching up and down the stairs with the bike. I'll have to figure a better solution.

So what's left? The 'vette is my ongoing project, but I think I'll call this version of it: The Alley Cruiser! So, in order to finish the Alley Cruiser this is what I'd like to do yet:

1. Finish the horn tank with copper plate panels. Here is where it sits now:
horntank_3.jpg

2. Some kind of canvas or leather bag to carry things like movies, for my trips to the video store, and snacks
3. cup holder for my sigg bottle...
4. Get brown Fat Franks
5. Pedals with a bit more grip to 'em
6. As you know alleys can get pretty rough--brick, potholes, garbage, rats.... so I was thinking about a springer fork. I haven't really thought about getting a springer fork since I first tried to make the 'vette look like George McFly's Phantom.

sprucemoose said:
ej599 said:

I have some remorse, but I ended up putting those wheels back on the curb. With a definite lack of space in my apt. I can't keep too many parts. I wish I kept the hub though. I hope that some kid found it and started building his own bike. That's how I got started with building bikes--finding them in garbage piles...
:shock: I just sold two of those 2 speed hubs. One went for $55 and the other for $75...You could have scored some new tires :)
The bike looks good! I say wrap it up and start a new project before you get to off track, it's just about perfect :p I've seen a lot of builds go south by tweaking and retweaking on here. Just a thought...Keep up the bang up job bro! LOOKS SHARP!

FOUND OBJECTS said:
:shock: I just sold two of those 2 speed hubs. One went for $55 and the other for $75...You could have scored some new tires :)
The bike looks good! I say wrap it up and start a new project before you get to off track, it's just about perfect :p I've seen a lot of builds go south by tweaking and retweaking on here. Just a thought...Keep up the bang up job bro! LOOKS SHARP!

GAHHH! ah man, that cuts deep! :oops:

Thanks on the compliments though, I like your advice I think its time to finish it.

Given an infinite amount of time an infinity of changes, tweaks and edits are possible and most likely.

This is the setup I've been cruisin' for a little over 120 miles:

AlmostThere.jpg

I've been shakin bolts off the bike on my rides, so I've been replacing bolts and adding lock washers. I ditched the 26 X 1.25 slicks for these 26 X 1.5 Panaracers that I had around. I think they're still too small for the bike and I've got a pair of Quick Bricks comin this week :D hope they fit under the fenders! I also figure they'll give me a smoother, softer ride.

My knees were killin' me for a while until I got the seat adjusted correctly--I followed Sheldon Brown's advice by raising it about a quarter inch at a time until it was too high, then took it down a notch. This has shifted my focus to the handlebars and the major dilemma in my life (besides what's for dinner?) form vs. function. By far the most comfortable bars I've had on here were the straight mt. bars, but I didn't like the way they looked so I switched them out for these flipped cruiser bars. I'm messing with the stem height, but on any ride over a few miles I notice my neck and back are getting a little tweaked. I may switch these out for a pair of flipped moto bars. Mainly straight, but with a little panache which I think will balance the form/function situation. Probably give me a little more control as I zip through traffic too... :?

And new pedals! I lost a chain ring bolt, which caused some creakin and groanin--in order to trouble shoot things I wanted to rule out pedals so I switched my platforms for a pair of MKS Touring pedals I bought for my wife's bike. Man those are sweet! So I'll be ordering a pair for myselfish. (Groan solved after disassembling and reassembling the whole crank chain wheel rig--things just got a little outta wack).

cruise on...

Great job with the paint, looks very nice!! Funny thing, I was looking at the last pic and thought to myself "those look too low, a flipped straighter bar would look better" and then when I read on there it was! :) Cool little skull too by the way!

I find that, for me at least, except racing on paved surfaces, any tire smaller than 1.5" is a pain (you know where !). Older 1 3/8" aren't TOO bad, but they're more trouble than they're worth (hard to find, one size only, all skinnys suck on soft surfaces). Hope your new bricks work-old Schwinns are usually pretty roomy.

I think the J means September because it's the ninth letter of the alphabet, skipping I (so as to not be confused with the no. 1) and N is the year which is 77. At least according to this list on oldroads.com: http://oldroads.com/sh_sn.asp

Man, I'm bikeless for at least another week. Despite the best efforts of all you guys, and my bike mechanic, the hub is magically nonfunctional, although it appears fine (no broken parts etc.) So I'm basically replacing everything except the casing. Just how I wanted to spend my money :cry: balls!

Back