My dad put a folding bike in a time capsule.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not exactly.

I remember as a small child (I'm only 36 now) my dad getting a folding bike. My memory was that he wanted it to put in our pop-up camper, but mom tells me that he had actually just got a job that required travel and he wanted it to take and ride when on those business trips. Based on when he got the job and knowing this bike was bought before my little sister was born we're pretty sure it's a 1983.

Like I said, I remembered him getting it and I thought it was bought at Sears, which would have meant something branded "Sears" but mom told me that it was bought from the "Best" department store, so it was a better name brand... turns out, it's a Dahon. My grandmother bought it for dad as a gift (not his mom, mom's mom, as if that matters) and she paid $200 for it.

Mom thinks dad rode it maybe 2-4 times, and the condition shows it. Dad keeps the original packaging for everything, and when mom and dad were cleaning out the garage upstairs closets (climate controlled) they pulled it out still in the box and dad said I could have it.

This is what it looked like as I pulled it from the box week before last:
null-67.jpg

A sharp eye will notice the plastic rear fender is gone, it was cracked from being in the box, but I have it all and can probably epoxy it back together.

Here is the box and all paperwork:
null-68.jpg

Close up of the paperwork. Owner's manual, warranty card (mom told me to send it in), accessories catalog, and order form. I'm tempted to fill out the order form and try to get some really cheap things, like the travel bag, trailer, and other cool parts and then wait for the phone call from them asking me if I'm on crack.
null-69.jpg

Front of box, a little worn.
null-70.jpg

I put air in the tires and the bike rides smooth, stops well (band brake), and shifts great (5 speed).

That's amazing. :shock:

Your folks are the kind of people I like to find selling stuff on the CL. :lol:

Rat Rod said:
That's amazing. :shock:

Your folks are the kind of people I like to find selling stuff on the CL. :lol:

They are having a hard time selling stuff, so lots of things went to a local church with a thrift store. Mom lit a fire under dad and they cleaned out those closets, mom says she filled up an entire moving van that the church sent, I guarantee there was NO junk, and plenty of new/like new stuff.

Now dad has more room for his Grand National and Chevelle parts.

That's a cool one. I have only had the single and three speeds. Haven't come across a 5 speed to play with yet.
Have fun!

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
yoothgeye said:
Rat Rod said:

ok, NOW I'm listening...

I just said that to get Steve excited. Dad wanted a Grand National for years and years, had a good deal slip through his fingers once. Finally, about 13 years ago he found one he wanted, low miles, bone stock, clean, he bought it. Drove it to car show just to look at the other cars and came home with a trophy, haha. Then he bought another, and another, one is still in an unknown location, but he has performance parts for that one, the other is a t-top model, not sure his plans on it as he's had it sitting in the yard for a long time, it drives, and I think he only gave $1500 for it. He's got enough parts to make a few nice ones.

The Chevelle showed up a few years ago, he knew a guy who was building it, a 1970 SS 454. The only problem was that the original engine had a seized crank, so instead of taking it to a machine shop, he just threw the engine in a scrap pile and grabbed a different 454 block to build, so non matching numbers. So the guy had an engine shop blueprint and build the 454 engine and should put out between 650 and 730hp. Dad watched as the guy grew tired of the project during body work and snatched up the car, engine, trans, all new trim and glass, another parts car, etc... and he's doing the body himself. Should be amazing when it hits the road.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
yoothgeye said:

ok, NOW I'm listening...

Yep. We need some more info on this. 8)

edit -- oops, between me reading and posting you got it here. thx!

That's a super cool story bro! The Dahon looks great!

I used to be one of the Foxbody Mustang guys that would race against one of my GN friends back in the day. I see a GN almost daily in a guy's drive just sit there and waste away..... :(

Love the Dahon, cool they still had it.

GNs = nice cars, I have a friend has one stashed, never drives it, runs it to keep it lubed, not sure the miles, but it's MINT. he won't take out and play with it for fear or damaging something . I bust on him they were meant to be abused.
Lot of fast Fox stangs anymore, too, friend is building one... we'll see hwo it stacks up to my Nova 8)

ALL cool finds.

You cars are starting to sound like an episode of Street Outlaws. :wink:

Cool little bike and story.

Rat Rod said:
Dahons and Grand Nationals....just like apple pie and ice cream. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha, yeah, need one in the truck for when it breaks down. :oops:

Actually, I love my dad's GNs, but when I was in high school he had me in Mustangs, I had an '83 GT 5.0 with work done to it, but it was no match for my stock '89 GT I got after that. A few years back dad got a '94 GT with front end damage and only 40,000 miles, while sourcing parts he got a '95 GT with 160k miles that he also flipped for a profit. The '94 was a clean ride when he got done with it, but not as fast as my '89 was.

Rat Rod said:
Chips_Mahoy said:
I used to be one of the Foxbody Mustang guys

I remember seeing guys like you all the time.........in my rear view mirror. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh I'm sure you did. Easy to do when you jump the start from fear of having your V6 get beat again!! :wink: :lol: Those were some fun times....

you guys are funny.

I have to say though, every (and there were quite a few) Grand National I raced, was identically fast as my LX 5.0 coupe (factory air conditioning delete). Not slower, not faster, a draw.

I used to have a bumper sticker that read...

"Out Hunting Mustangs...Be Back in 12 Seconds."

Maybe the Mustangs I raced had trunks full of folding bikes from the 80s. ;)

Sweet find!! :D

All this talk about Grand Nationals...it's a BUICK!! :roll: :roll: My buddy's '64 Ford Galaxie with a 429 would smoke those little kid toys 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Am I the only kid who didn't race his car in high school? Well I drove a '58 Cadillac Hearse so maybe that's why...It wasn't exactly fast. But it did come with enough space in the back for a nice size air mattress and a free pass to park in the cemetery day or night and not get bothered so it had it's benefits if you know what I mean. :wink:

I still miss that car :(

Latest posts

Back