My Daily

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just posted an intro but i thought i'd share some more detailed pics of my bikes. i went out to visit my girlfriends family in California a couple of years ago and came back obsessed w/ the bike scene in huntington, venice, santa monica, crystal cove, etc. i tried so hard to find something both online and from the bike shops that reminded me of the bikes i saw out there but nothing just felt right. fast forward to last year and i'm at my local dump getting rid of trash when i look in the metals dumpster and i find this under a pile of old ten speeds. i couldn't believe it, i had finally found something i liked. i found it almost as you see it here in the pics. when i pulled it out of the dumpster it was complete except for the front wheel. when i got it home i found that the rear wheel was pretty much junk w/ several broken spokes but the tire held air except for when i sat on it, it exploded. i had borrowed a wheel from an old mtn. bike i had until i could find a set of white walls. a local surf shop started selling nirve bikes this summer so i had them order me a set of wheels w/ white walls, when i got them home the axles wouldn't fit the frame or forks so i hogged them out. then once they where on rear fender wouldn't fit so off that went. the original handlebars where still on it but i didn't like them so i put some apes off of a trike i have and found the perfect stance. then last week after signing onto this board i saw someone w/ the springer reversed and decided to copy that. after that was finished the front fender no longer fit so off to the spare parts pile that went along w/ the rear fender, rear wheel/ tire, and stock handle bars. also the original pedals were bent so i picked up a cheapo pair from walmart just to get the thing going. i've been rididng this all summer and have gotten so many thumbs up and compliments. and to think someone threw it away!!

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1785.jpg

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

i don't know why but i love the last two pics for some reason.

awesome man,

If i saw you cruising the strand on that, id def give you mad respect. if you ever get a chance to come back out here, you should try to plan it around one of the many rides that go on almost weekly.

is it a JC or is it a sears?

ive been kicking myself in the ... for selling my higgy..

DSC_0007-1.jpg

im just glad i sold it to another member here on the board. gone, but not forgotten

wow sharp "higgy"! yea mine is a j.c. higgins. that's pretty much how i found it except the wheels, chain, and bars. it still has an old master lock on it and one of those red reflective things that goes around the rear hub. i had to take it off and hang it from the seat tho cus it kept hitting the spokes and was driving me crazy.

I have a frame like that I have had for several years. It used to have the rat trap springer forks but I don't know what happened to them. I never did have a tank for it though. I have built it several different ways and enjoyed each version. I might have to drag it out and slap some parts on it and see how it turns out.

Back