My first build **New pics added 24/9/2010**

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all from cold Finland.
Finally managed to build courage to post some pics of my first build :)
I have allways loved Firebikes Fluid Roadster model. Never had enough money to buy own I decided to learn how to weld and work with metal so that I could make my own.

My first introduction to welding was about 2 weeks before I started to make this bike. I have made all kinds of stuff from wood so this was fun change.
I used TIG welding for this. Tubes I used were 33,7x2,6mm for main frame and 28,6x2mm for rear fork.
Headtube and bottom bracket were made by my friend.
Drop out area is still bit rough and need some atention from me. I intend to buil springer fork an handle bars myself too. Fork is modified version of Brainfork that has instruction page in web.
Handlebars I was planing to make are Apehangers with more of modern touch than old-school.
I have 7-speed nexus that I was planing on using in this. I need to build suicide shifter for that too. Just trying to find right type shotgun for it :lol:

Color is still open but main options are black with red rims and whitewall tires or bonewhite with black rims and tires. Both colors get some pinstriping from my friend. and chrome wont get near this bike, all visible parts that remain metal surface are going to be brass.

And here is one photo for starters.
Pyr017.jpg

P.S. My english might be bit bad sometimes but try to bear with me :)

Re: M first build

:shock: cool design you got goin there !

very nice design and frame for someone who just started two weeks ago. :mrgreen:

CCR said:
NICE curves !!! interested in seeing how the seat mounts though. :)
I'm guessing the seat will clamp directly to that post and there won't be a separate seat post. Looks pretty nice for just starting welding two weeks ago.

Thanks for comments :)
Yeah that seatpost is propably going to be changed.
I dont have tires yet so I havent been able to measure accuretly seats place.
Forgot to mention that this is going to be very looooong build since I dont have much money to put this right now :)
I was thinking about changing that seatpost with curved one that goes with tires outer radius. Close as posible to tire.
Ill try to put some progress pics of front fork next week when I start building it seriously.

Very nice so far. Wish you had some tires for a mockup .I would like to see how it sets.

Little update.
My shotgun suicide shifter is not going to happen :( Police wouldnt propably like it very much and I dont want to stop all the time and show certificates about it that its no usable as firearm.
So Im going to make it bit different. I was thinking about making it from brass.
Started working that front fork. Made front arc and t-pieces almost done. Does anyone have suggestions about what kind of springs I could use in it? I was thinking about visiting some MTB stores and using some springs made for MTB front ends. Dont have much experience on those tough.
I dont want too stiff or too sloppy.

I was planing to make mock up tires from 12mm plywood next week when I get to use wood machines again. Got some leftover pieces from guitar sablones I made.
Ill try to post some pics of that fork at end of week.

MTB springs would work good, but most are really short, try motorcycle springs from inside the forks.

Looking great so far!!! I wish I were as good as you are with the welder, I pretty much stink at it, but I keep trying...
Don´t forget to document your fork construction, I may try to build one of those in the future. :D

I measured that about 100mm springs would work fine for me, bit shorter for upper strings tough. Need to go and make some research thursday.
I was thinking about makin handlebars so that they would be same pipe with forks wider back tubes. Im not so good at explaning things :D

I need to take some closer pics of those welds so you can see that hey are bit rough :D

Looking good so far! :) When I built a springer fork I used springs that I got from Biltema. If I'm not completely wrong, you got Biltema in Finland as well? In that case, go there and look for "förtöjningsfjäder" (my finnish is non existing, so I write the word in swedish :D ), they come in three sizes. See if any of them might work for your springer! Good luck, this looks like a fun build to follow! :)

Ok here is pic of that front fork.....or whats ready now. That front arc wich is from that narrow tube is propably going to change cos thats very badly made :)
Next step ist to drill holes and bend that bigger T piece. Dont know if thats its real name. Going to go buy those springs tomorrow and start to get those in shape too.

08012010597.jpg

And yes as i said in my original post. That frames desing is Firebikes Fluid Roadster. Hopefully I didnt give that impression that I desinged it.
Its frame that I fell in love with first sight :) Tried to make it bit more my kind. That upper thick tube is much more arched than original and also back forks upper tubes are more bent in front section. Not much but needed to make it bit different. That seatpost is propably going to be quite different.

My deadline for making that front end and handlebars are end of this month. Hopefully I can get those done by then.

To next time. Thanks again for comments.

Finally!
I got front end finally allmost ready. All I need to do is clean some weld better with dremel cos grinder was too big.
Ill try to post some pics here at this weekend.
Next up is paint and then assembly.

Here is some new pics with front end in place.
Still havent been able to get tires for this but hopefully this gives some kind of idea of what its going to look like.
Still need to clean some welds and sandblast it somewhere then its time for paint.
Color scheme Im planing to use is bone white frame with black and red pinstripes, black wheels and tires and black front end with brass accents. Ill try to use brass elsewhere also so it wont jump out too boldy in that front end.
Those nuts at the end of springs are going to be replaced to brass spike/nuts also those plugs that hold those springs in place are going to be changed in brass ones. Those are there just so I could get this assembled.

Hope you like it.
Progress is slow but try to bear with me.

Re: My first build **New pics added 24/4/2010**

awesome! cant wait to see it rollin. love the handlebars, and how they become the fork legs.

Latest posts

Back