My first fresh find post - Hibbard - Brought up from the Titannic but free!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi all. I am new to the forum, and thought because the "fresh find" portion has always been my favorite to read it would make sense to post something here first. A fellow contacted me to say he heard I liked old bikes and explained that he would donate two bikes to me so long as they stayed in Nebraska. last week I drove into the rural countryside to meet him at his farm. What a treat! I became the new caretaker of the bike pictured below as well as a 1933ish Western Flyer. Even better than ending a long dry spell for finding anything cool, the guy was as nice as could be. He showed me his giant out-building of Ford model "T" and "A" trucks as well as a collection of vintage gas engines and tractors. He came across the bikes but realized he would never fix them up so wanted to pass them along not worried about making money. Cool cat! I have always wanted an early bike so am very happy about the find., and wanted to share. Thought you might get more excited than my wife was!

20140306_081739
by coupehunter, on Flickr

20140306_081420

20140306_081334

you've got you're work cut out for you with that one. I would have been as excited as you to get it. I like a challenge.

When they bring relics up from the Titanic they soak them in a big tank before exposing them to air... Similarly I will have to submerge this thing in a big tank of hot penetrating oil to break any of the bolts/nuts loose!

Welcome to RRB!
Great entry into the forum with such a cool score!

nice score. gotta love Nebraska. my job takes me all over rural neb, ks, mo, and iowa.
I get to see all sorts of gems. last week I got to see a gray ghost and a orange pealer in pristine, untouched condition. he wont sell, but will someday "pass them on".

I like the looks of that Hibbard. When I see a bike in that condition, what would I do next to get it roll'n. You will much satisfaction when that chain gets limbered up. What's your end plan?

Can't beat free! I have never been so lucky. If it's free to me it would only be good for scrap metal. Some 1990's beat to H**L rusted up piece of chit.
Hope you do the justice. And get them both back on the road.
JKent

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes guys! Much respect to all of you! I just love having a place share the madness! As far as this bike goes I want to be cautious to preserve as much as I can. Riding it again is the top priority! I just think it would be cool get it back to good operating condition without doing some over the top restoration. Given the old girl is about three times older than I causes me to respect her all the more! I thought for a moment about trying to source some tricky to find parts to convert it to a Harley like shown below but much more patinated with less polish......

Then again in researching Hibbards I am not coming up with much. Perhaps I will just keep it badged that way......

I think you would have a lot more luck looking up information for this bike if you looked up HSB & Co. HSB & Co., (Hibbard. Spencer & Bartlett) started the True Value Brand in 1932, thus the head badge. And they did not make these bikes. This looks like a Schwinn, built for there store and badged under there Hardware store name. But the frame definitely looks like a Schwinn.
GL, JKent

I have a 1938 Snyder built Hibbard and 1918 Harley Davis-son and I think you should keep it as a Hibbard. From what I remember when I researched my Hibbard, there isn't a lot of info out there on them, but like most department/hardware/auto stores that sold bikes, they outsourced the building of there bikes to many bike manufacturers.
It would need to be a Davis built frame to be a Harley-esque build and from what I can tell, I don't think that is a Davis frame.
It's a cool relic and headbadge. Keep it and have fun with it.

I do believe that Schwinn built most of Hibbards bikes though. That may help you in some of your research.

Wait a minute! Was this in Saline County close by Friend, Ne by any chance? If so looks like I need to start hiding my old bikes up there in a better location. Seems like everyone knows everyone belongings :rofl:

Hey Floridarust! No, this was the other direction from Lincoln to the east near Weeping Water.

Speaking of weeping this old bike has seen her worst days for awhile hopefully and there will be a happy future of cruising ahead! Thanks Kingfish for your help. I was able to find a very well obscured 6 digit serial number on the bottom bracket tube. Not sure if serial numbers from these years were much help...... The research is certainly fun as it really takes you back through some interesting times in American history! Sure appreciate everyone's help thus far!

Latest posts

Back