My Hiawatha...Finally - New pics 5/20

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this about 2 months ago on ebay locally, took it all apart the same day and tucked it away in the corner. Needs a little work. Well we've been doing a major overhaul of the garage so its been hidden until now. Since I never took before pics I threw it together for a quick mock up:

Tank from ebay, doesn't fit so I sold it, looking for a tank that will fit. Fenders and crank from Crassly (Thanks!) I didn't put the springer fork all the way back together, I just threw the springs in so it sits level.

Might go 24x3's if they'll fit. Rims are mismatched so I need new ones anyways. Found the rack when cleaning the garage. Gonna do a full re-do on this bike. Gonna stay black, but with some red or white pinstripes (haven't finalized paint yet)

More to come!

mockup.jpg

Re: My Hiawatha...Finally

that bike looks nice...can't wait to see it re-worked! I'm so jealous 'cause we don't have that sort of thing here.
we have to import that classic bike metal and it costs heaps in shipping.

Buck Masterson said:
That tank looks pretty nice on there, i think I would have just bent the bottom bar to fit the tank better.

I was thinking about it, but I didnt want to risk ruining it, I don't think theres enough metal to bend down.

SOmeone find this man some fenders!!!!! We know he's got the tank, I wanna see this thing done! Are you going for authentic, or ratty?

bombshelterbikes said:
SOmeone find this man some fenders!!!!! We know he's got the tank, I wanna see this thing done! Are you going for authentic, or ratty?

Haha.

Neither really, I would say mild custom I guess. No welding or anything but im designing the paint scheme myself, and some parts will be from other bikes, so I guess you could say its gonna be a semi - rat. Its gonna be black and red, and maybe silver for an accent.

I think I'm going to wait for the build off though.

Hello again! If i am not mistaken, your fenders are on there as well.... some guy has them listed as "baloon fenders" or some such thing....doesn't know what bike they are from. Red and white, and look to be in great shape. If I find the actual listing again I will post it for you. By the way, a mild kustom sounds perfect for this bike....it already has a lot of character. Looking forward to it!

bombshelterbikes said:
Hello again! If i am not mistaken, your fenders are on there as well.... some guy has them listed as "baloon fenders" or some such thing....doesn't know what bike they are from. Red and white, and look to be in great shape. If I find the actual listing again I will post it for you. By the way, a mild kustom sounds perfect for this bike....it already has a lot of character. Looking forward to it!

I was just looking at fenders, found a couple sets but I don't think either are right. I tried looking for that listing you mentioned but couldn't find it, so if you could find it again that would be great!

Thanks, I'm going to add a few personal touches, kind of combine everything I like about the balloon tire bikes into one bike. I've been finding some unique parts to add, like lights and stuff, so watch for updates.

Did a different mock up with some new parts from the Monarch I just picked up. This dog leg crank fits my frame so I'm going to use it, and I like the sprocket better so I'm going to use that as well. I couldn't get the fender off the fork so I just threw the fork on as well to see if it would fit. The fender is near perfect, its gothic though, but it fits like a glove. I love the curved braces. Time to bust out the dremel and get that fender off. Also the rear wheel off the monarch has a cool skiptooth sprocket with holes in it that I'm going to use as well.

Also did some cleaning on the original rear wheel and found out it was a blacked out new departure model d hub. Also think I found a set of 24" drop center wheels hanging in the rafters if I decide to go 24x3's. More to come

1-4.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I like your "no fear" attitude....take those old bikes and mix 'em up!!!!! That is what brought me to this style of bike building...and to this site. Soooo, what kind of fenders do you have in mind? I havce to say, those curved braces on the front Monarch look cool as a contrast to the frame ( and go good with the sprocket). Also, when I first glanced at the pictrure of the new mock-up, I thought the fender in the background was actually a truss rod set!!!! I thought "look at that sweet curve, and how it almost matches the front fender brace curve....what a design!!!!!"
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Hahahahahah!!! I DO like it though....any thoughts of fabricating some trusses and going with the curved braces?!?!?!?!?

Back