my next re-build, stingray mini twin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

Total n00b here.
I have recently come into possession of of one of these mini twins when I was able to rescue it from my wife's uncle who was about to toss it.
I believe it was purchased by my wife's grand parents back in the late 60s, most likely from a store in Winona, Minnesota, and for a long time it was ridden by a pair of mini twins themselves (my wife's aunts) and then a few years later by the original purchasers grand kids (my wife and her cousins). It's been sitting in a garage for the past 15 years or so and isn't in the best shape.

twin.jpg

I don't know a lot about bikes but at first glance I can see that the tires and tubes seem to be shot and probably need replacing.
There is a lot of rust in the wheels themselves and the cogs and chain look pretty bad. The rear hub is very rusty but I'm not sure if that just needs a good cleaning or what. Otherwise it seems a lot like Fast Eddie described his.

I'm taking it to our local Bike Coop here in Minneapolis today to get some advice out of them, but until finding this page I really had no idea what I had gotten my hands on. Now I plan to keep it all as close to original as possible.
Goal is to keep and ride it, not sell it, but I really want to restore it to it's former glory.

Fast Eddie, how did your rebuild turn out? Does anybody have any tips or suggestions?
I would be more than grateful of any advice. In return I can offer any other pictures and a chance to ride it to anybody from the Twin Cities area :D

Thanks

Tripper.

i say rebuild it! mine turned out great! i had to spned just a bit of money having the rear 2 speed kickback hub rebuilt cuz i dont know how, but everyting else i took apart completely, cleaned, regreased, and put it all back together keeping it all original. if the chain and tires need replacing i say go ahead, what good is a ike ya can't ride? also consider selling it, those things can fetch over $1,000 dollars, ive seen it. good luck!
fast eddie

Latest posts

Back