My Scores (Updated 7/8)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this well rusted Western Flyer under a tree on the way out the gate at Saline. There was still a price of $20 on it. I couldn't just leave it there, could I?
IMG_8438.jpg

Judging by the headbadge, what year is it approximately?
IMG_8440.jpg

There's also a couple of well preserved stickers on the seat tube: a Notre Dame '72-'73 license & another "computerized" license, expired in '77. When I get the rear fender off, I'll be able to get better pics of them. The seat is a Persons--I wonder what it looked like w/upholstery. It would make decent yard sculpture as is & considering the big gloppy weld on the bottom bracket,(hidden under mud) that might be for the better. I also found a '73 Schwinn frame (Fairlady or Lil' Chik?) that will eventually wear pink paint when my daughter is older. found a good blade fork for it, too. I've got everything else to make it a rider already.
IMG_8443.jpg

Last year, I grabbed a '58 version of the same frame for free, w/some more good parts, but a crack in the frame--I stripped & flipped it & found it this FS this year for $50! I guess some of us didn't realize how valuable the girls bikes are. That guy must think I'm a real chump for selling it to him for $10 :lol:
I found this in a field in Detroit on the way to Autorama. I think it's an AMF, so that would make it a Harley, right? :lol:
IMG_8186.jpg

I love this chainguard & it's cleaning up rather well. It's also got a Bendix 70 hub.
IMG_8187.jpg

Re: My Scores (Updated 5/30)

Picked up 2 CL finds today-- a '71 Breeze frame in my very favorite Schwinn color, Sky Blue & for my very favorite price, free. Got it from a collector who is nice enough to actually give stuff away, (rarely are there free bikes on our CL) sometimes I think he's thumbing his nose at the CL clowns with all their grossly overpriced less than desirable "collectable, vintage" bikes. I might get this one rolling again, just to have a beater in "my color"
IMG_8792.jpg

Scored this Dyno Fireball for $15--my 5 yr old is thrilled with it. He's got taste--his favorite tv show is Pee Wee's Playhouse. It's got 18" wheels, which will make tire shopping fun in the future, but the rubber's still good, as is everything else. Does anyone know what years these were made & how to read the date code on a Dyno? (Pacific, made in China).
IMG_8801.jpg

I've been to at least a dozen garage sales this week & I haven't found any bikes worth buying, barely even worth picking out of the trash...is this good or bad? I'm not sure myself...

Re: My Scores (Updated 5/30)

TheFlyingDingo said:
so THATS why that guy never emailed me back about the fireball

So I beat the Dingo to a deal, eh? :wink: I know it's a bit closer to my neck o' the woods than yours...
Another deal thanks to a lazy CL ad...there were 2 small pics, no brand names or anything mentioned, just something like "2 kids bikes, some scratches, but they work o.k., $15 each" I said "gimme the red & black one"!

Went out for a $5 pizza the other day & came home w/a $10 bike. Here it is after a quick cleaning:
IMG_8965.jpg

Schwinn Traveler, Aug.'63. 100% original, except the headbadge is missing, a big glob of adhesive in it's spot--would it have been a sunburst?
IMG_8966.jpg

Detroit bike license expired in '79--interesting fact, Detroit required all bikes on the road to be licensed at a cost of $50 or be fined even more. I think they just recently overturned this absurd law, but now it's illegal to barbecue in your driveway or front yard. What a town! They SHOULD require cyclists to have lights & reflectors at night--that would save lives.
Speaking of front yards, a neighbor had a yard sale & was kind enough to sell me this Lil' Giant trike for $5. It must have been out of pity--clearly they are alot better off than I--they have a new Volvo wagon, I have an '80, for instance.
IMG_9181.jpg

This thing is waaay superior to the Radio Flyer Retro Red my 3 yr old daughter has been riding & not because it's aluminum & has actual headset bearings (not just a plastic ring w/grease on it) but because it's pink w/pinstriping & has weird see-through tires. As soon as I brought it home, my daughter (who had no idea I was going to buy it) said matter of factly "here's daddy with my new pink bike".

The WF bike at the top Is a Huffy made bike. The serial should have a number followed by the letter "H". That first number at the bigginning should be the last number of the year.^ = 66 or 56???? You have to be the judge of that. With that headbadge, probably In the 50's or very early 60's. The Schwinn Traveler probably did have the burst headbadge. Kenny.

Back