(name change) Middle Aged

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, lots of progress and creative customization Brian! Really dig your paint idea on the frame, maybe some pinstripe or even another color over the rear dropouts and up the stays a bit, to match whatever you paint the fork?

brian m rat.jpg

This frame is so cool, I'm not really feeling the tank insert. Especially with your new paint scheme. You have done a great stretch here, why not let that frame 'stand alone'!

I like the long and low pulled back bars, really accentuate the pulled look of the frame. You could always cut just an inch or two off the ends if they feel too long for riding position.

Wow, lots of progress and creative customization Brian! Really dig your paint idea on the frame, maybe some pinstripe or even another color over the rear dropouts and up the stays a bit, to match whatever you paint the fork?

View attachment 235004

This frame is so cool, I'm not really feeling the tank insert. Especially with your new paint scheme. You have done a great stretch here, why not let that frame 'stand alone'!

I like the long and low pulled back bars, really accentuate the pulled look of the frame. You could always cut just an inch or two off the ends if they feel too long for riding position.
I was messing around with it last night with some pinstripe tape to look at how a stripe would look and definitely needs some liked it a lot more. Have it on the top tube only won't be using the tape it doesn't want to do the curve's to good.
IMG_20230601_175204056_HDR.jpg

paint is looking great. very complimentary to the frame.

Do you plan a 'finish coat' over the painted portion as well, Brian?

Got the blo applied today hopefully I did it right I mixed it 50-50 with acetone like I seen in a video. Then just wiped it on with a rag let it set for a little bit then wiped off the excess. Could someone tell me if it dries up or will it always be tacky?
IMG_20230604_171415361_HDR.jpg

I also finished up the braces for the springer by drilling a hole and using some aluminum nails.
IMG_20230604_164918822.jpg

Trimmed the nail down and used a hammer to peen the nail
IMG_20230604_164944768.jpg

IMG_20230604_165344804.jpg

Just need to sand, primer, and paint them I got the rest of the springer parts and the fender painted today. Almost ready to start assembly on this one .

I tried the BLO once on a scrap part, and didn't like the fact that it remained oily for so long. Maybe someone with a success story on BLO could answer this question.

D

Did you mix it with acetone or straight linseed oil?
I just did it straight up. Which was probably part of it. It was in the desert, so it did dry off after a couple of days. Then I used a shellac on the frame instead. It was glossier, but brought out some of the coloration in the frame that had been painted probably 4 or more times over the last 50 yrs.

IMG_20160203_150356.jpg

Yesterday I got the crank in before my grandson came into my shop wanting to go for a bike ride so bike went on hold. Then today I got some parts mocked up to see what might stay or not.
IMG_20230608_202845028_HDR.jpg
Not really sure what I'm liking or not probably going to change the seat and try out a couple different ones I have .

Last edited:
Was not liking the first mock up so this morning so I came out to the shop and started taking things off. First was the rear rack took it off and started liking it more.
I liked the fender but not in black so I needed to run to the hardware store for some paint and masking tape. They didn't have any of the same antique white I already used just there brand.
IMG_20230610_202005622.jpg
IMG_20230610_202244617.jpg
Hoping it would match good enough.
Got the stipes laid out
IMG_20230610_114440595.jpg
After a lite sanding and a couple layers of antique white and drying in the hot sun for a few hours I compared it to the other paint and I don't see any difference.
IMG_20230610_163320006_HDR.jpg
seat , tire, and handle bar change probably
IMG_20230610_163638294_HDR.jpg
I am liking this look a lot more I might order another tire like this small brick in cream
Screenshot_20230610-203317.png

Looks like the Fenix one I already have even has the same numbers. I made a tank been working on it here and there kinda think I like it without it.
IMG_20230610_201543185_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230610_201522614_HDR.jpg
I have this brooks seat but the only thing holding the front is one rivet on the front.
IMG_20230610_201855666_HDR.jpg

Was thinking about drilling a couple holes and adding rivets behind where the other ones are and maybe one behind the front one.

Between yesterday and today I got the rear section of the frame cut off both bikes and fit together.View attachment 231074I had to straighten out the seat stays on the Schwinn section to be able to slide on the Columbia stays. So I used a piece of angle and a long screw to hold it on a 6x6 then used a pipe to bend down to where they slide on.View attachment 231091View attachment 231082
The chain stays was a little different size so I had a piece of solid steel that fit in the bigger stays but just a little too big for the smaller ones. I used my grinder spinning the steel till I got it to fit the Columbia stays.View attachment 231086
Fit it all back together View attachment 231084View attachment 231090
I took a fork and held it in and measured the axle to axle length and it looks 50-51inches. My other stock Columbia around 43". I wanted to see what the back would look like with a wheel and fender so I mocked it up and threw on a seat and post. I won't be using that seatpost or tires they were just handy.View attachment 231089 Now just need to get this part tacked together and everything all welded solid.
A comparison of the back section.View attachment 231088
Rivendell Bicycles have nothing on you for rear wheelbase. I'm really liking your ideas here.

This morning I went and picked up some brushes and paint to do the stripping between the two colors. Don't think it turned out too bad first time doing it free hand.View attachment 235229
Thinking of rubbing some blo on the copper color after this finishes drying.
Having tried pin striping by hand my hat is off to you. Great job. All the old English Raleighs had a beautiful pin strip paint job and I read that it was applied by hand, no masks or machines. This bike is turning out so well.

Having tried pin striping by hand my hat is off to you. Great job. All the old English Raleighs had a beautiful pin strip paint job and I read that it was applied by hand, no masks or machines. This bike is turning out so well.
Thanks turned out better than I thought it would but not professional.

I've decided to change my build name after explaining to my wife how I was going to leave the frame like it is with the older Columbia in the middle and newer Schwinn parts on the front and rear.
As soon as I explained it to her a light went off in my head Middle Aged!
As I was dozing last night I thought of your build and the fact that it is a Schwinn-Columbia-Schwinn. That is when I had a major brain fart and came up with SchwiLumbiaNN. Don't ask, that is what I do in my spare time.

Latest posts

Back