Narrowing a frame...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Is there a thread on narrowing the rear of a frame of a bike with gears to accepted a coaster brake rear wheel? Such as a Schwinn Breeze, Collegiate, or even a cheap old mountain bike...
Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
frame-spacing-r.jpg

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

I normally grab some threaded rod and a couple of nuts and just wind it together.
That is if I can be bothered, otherwise I just stand on it a little on each side and check it with a string line when I am done.

Luke.

As others said, it's easy to re-space steel frames, using a variety of methods.... just please do check the alignment afterwards. Another option for this situation is to re-space the coaster hub....

If you're dealing with what was a 5-spd cluster bike you may be able to just put the wheel in the frame and tighten the nuts. You can also use spacers between the inner race nuts and the lock nuts on the axle. If you've got a hub with friction thread race nuts instead of lock nuts, you can add regular axle nuts.

Latest posts

Back