need fork measurement

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, may I trouble someone to give me an exact measurement of a newer 26" springer fork? This is any newer fork where the bolt goes directly through the leg. I want to know the distance between the bottom of the lower bearing retainer cup to the center of the wheel axle. Thanks!!!

I have this springer that was on my stretch for a while I can measure if that's what you're looking for.

af_023.jpg

Yes, much appreciated. I put a 7" crank on my 24" Typhoon set up as a big stingray and I need to get the front up higher to clear those pedals.. I'm currently using a fork from a 27" varsity. Need just a little more height. The big springer might work.

I'll measure it when I get home from work.

When I first put the black springer on it moved my front wheel out to where the bike wouldn't fit on my bike rack. I added a spacer to it to bring it back and it raised it a bit.

af_026.jpg

Is the spacer below the lower bearing cup? Cool looking ride - would love to see a full picture of it.

thrdrl said:
Is the spacer below the lower bearing cup? Cool looking ride - would love to see a full picture of it.

No, the spacer is between the spring and the steer tube bracket. The silver part.

The fork is 16" from axle to the bottom bearing race.

Here's what the bike looked like when I got it with a chrome springer (bad chrome).

af_01.jpg

Then with the black springer.

af_024.jpg

Didn't like how it worked so I changed to a triple tree and this is how it looks now.

af_056.jpg

Or with different bars. May try a banana seat on it for something different.

af_058.jpg

Hey thanks a lot for taking the time to measure that. I appreciate it. That bike of yours would be the envy of any boardwalk!!!

B607 said:
I'd trade every bike I had for that stone wall. That's impressive. (I'm a rock guy too) Gary

There are a lot of those rocks around here. Here are a couple houses from the 1930s down the street. The stone wall is only a few years old.

stone%2520house1.jpg

stone%2520house2.jpg

If you are thinking of investing in one of the generic springer forks, remember this. Leave the steer tube intact; don't cut it. Place spacers underneath the lower bearing race and you will get the height needed. You were on the right track when you asked if the spacer was below the bearing cup. That just wasn't what was needed on his bike.

Back