Need help for Steampunk Style parts!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a Zombie Bike Ride coming up in Key West and I am trying to get some parts to dress up the chopper to look Steampunk for the event. I am having problems finding head and tail lights for the bike. Any ideas or advice. This is what the bike looks like in its current state. I just want to be able to just add parts for the ride!

993978_10153268044480425_708996347_n.jpg

8546_10153268045395425_355353745_n.jpg

1260899_10153268047645425_208434666_n.jpg

I try to stay far away from "steampunk" discussions on this board, but i wanted to weigh in by +1'n what DVP said: that bike doesn't have the steampunk look/feel to it. That being said, I think brass looks good on just about everything.... and so does fake copper. Real copper looks good too, but the tarnishing tendency kinda kills it for me. Some ppl love it, though.

Also just wanted to say that the bike is perfect for a ZPOC type of event, in my opinion. Considering that all the classic zombie movies (the ones featuring zombies of the sort that will be on your ride) all came out after 1968, the steampunk thing might seem out of place.... then again, I look at zombie stuff as "ANYthing goes", so you're covered either way.

Last edited:
If you decide to go the Steam Route Anyway, take some examples from google or DeviantArt, in regards to Actual Steam Powered things.. Including bikes for that matter. Many accessories include but are not limited to \:washboard metal sheeting for paneling, old cage style candle lamps [brass/tin] .. compartments made of metal boxes., Clock gears.. I think if you really wanted to do something steam with it, Id get or fashion a pair of oversized clock gears and use them in the rims, or as the spoking for the rims.. just a thought. Piping is also very useful as steam is powered with brass tubing parts as well, much of the time. Matching paint might not detract from the feel you're looking for all too much, but hey.. thats the fun of DIY building!

It'd be tough to temporarily deck any bike out as "Steam Punk"...
I think you'd get more mileage out of dressing Victorian for the ride.

Carl.

Back