Need Help with Dropouts/Tire Clearance

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am rat-rodding a 57 Western Flyer (see link below for the story so far...)
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38164&p=373148&hilit=vonfink#p373148.

Upon having some new wheels built (a nexus 3-spd rear Workman rim and a drum brake front) and mounted with new tires, I am running out of tire clearance. This is by diameter more than width, because the new tires are fitting high and fat on my wheels. I like the fat tire appearance so I am willing to make adjustments. In the front it means I will sacrifice my fender as there is just not enough clearance. In the back it is not so simple. I think I am going to need to adjust the dropouts in order to give me more room to move the wheel back. Here are my thoughts below:

Dropoutsolutions-1.jpg

Dropoutsolutions-2.jpg

So...which will work best? If I go for either, I am guessing I'll need to hand-fabricate the added material (thinking drill, jigsaw and grinder), have a welding shop weld it in, and then grind away the beads? I could use some advice here because I have never done anything like this.

Thanks,
Tim

I had only scrolled down to your first photo and I though, why not do welded on rear facing dropouts, and behold! You're on it.

BTW, I just packed my truck with frames for the scrapyard, there are a couple in there with rear drop outs. if you want me to cut them off for you, just shoot me a PM.

Walker said:
I had only scrolled down to your first photo and I though, why not do welded on rear facing dropouts, and behold! You're on it.

BTW, I just packed my truck with frames for the scrapyard, there are a couple in there with rear drop outs. if you want me to cut them off for you, just shoot me a PM.

I'd love em! What would I owe you?

deorman said:
Bolt-on extensions could work for that. :|

I'd at least consider something like a bolt-ons extension. Does somebody sell such a thing, or must I make them? Any additional info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

looking at the choices u have posted , i would use second idea possibably let the piece go all the way up to the seat and chain stays . , will be easier to clean up the welds without compromising the strength. and leave the other dropout in place , if it is cut then just but welded together then grinded will get weak in my opinion. and weld may interfere with wheels nuts sliding smoothly . so i would weld at the seat and chain stays then possibably just a couple spot welds at the rear of the drop out , easy to cleanup and shouldnt interfere with the wheel in any way.

go to the how to section look for lower the rear of bike without welding, he made dropout and bolted it on , basically idea could work for you also. use three small bolts . so cant turn and keep clearence.

Those no-weld solutions are clever but not what I feel comfy with. I'll probably be getting a pair of backwards-facing drop-outs and have them welded in.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

just wanted to ad my method for making tire clearance. I put a big set of vice grips on the tube and hit them with a mini-sledge on the inside side. it flattens the inside of the tube without touching the outside.

Back